Cereal at 2 months? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little girl is just ravenous. She's perfectly healthy but just seems to always be hungry. My mom told me that she gave me cereal when I was 6 weeks old (the 1 grain rice type...) and that helped me to sleep through the night. Everything I've read however, tells me bottle bottle bottle! Please help. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Special Member

I personally think 2 months is a little early for cereal. I would definitley ask your dr about that. There is more nutrition she needs in the bottle right now. But ask your dr.
#3 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
I gave both my children a litle cereal in their night time milk bottle. I have a almost 6 years old and a 16 months. Most bottle makers today sell a medium/fast flow nipple. You just need to monitor the feeding at night to ensure the baby's not choking.

#4 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave my first son cereal in his bottle before bed and he had a lot of constipation and tummy trouble, so I never did it with the other two. I would not recommend it.
#5 of 14 Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM

Likes Earned: 22
I would check with the pediatrician forst, but some babies DO need more than just a bottle. My DS (now 13) started with solids at 3 1/2 months. Wouldn't take cereal at all, under any circumstances. But because he was basically starving all the time his pediatrician suggested we puree apple sauce and mashed potatoes and try those. He had no problems with either one. But definitely ask first.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 14 Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
My eldest was like your little girl and hungry all the time, when he was 6 weeks old I started giving him a little rice cereal in his 10pm bottle, afterr that he woould sleep thru til 6am and he thrived on it. This was 22.5yrs ago tho but it didn't seem to do him any harm at he is a perfectly healthy 6'5" slim young man. He was also 8pd 7oz at birth and 23 in long. I think larger babies at birth need more food sooner.

I also have twins that will be 16 in 4 days. They were only 6pds 7oz and 6 pds 12oz at birth, they on the other hand were not interested in cereal or any solids for that matter until they were 5 mnths old. At the moment they are 6'2" and 6'3" so either way it didn't seem to make a blind bit of difference when they started solids. the twins were sleeping thru from 10pm til 6am by 8 weeks without the rice cereal.

As the other ladies said you should check with you dr but I agree with your mother, why let the child starve bc most kids her age arn't ready for solids, statistics are based on averages which means some kids will need solids sooner than 'average' and some won't need them until later than 'average'
#7 of 14 Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM

My daughter was the same way, and she would not eat cereal. We started her on solid food at 2 months old on the recommendation of her pediatrician. We held my son off for a month or so longer, but even he started solid foods at 3 months.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#8 of 14 Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM

Likes Earned: 10
I started my son on cereal at three months exactly because he also seemed hungry all time time also, and was eating five ounces of milk already. He loved it, and had no trouble, but he still does not sleep all though the night. He is now 18 weeks old tomorrow, and is not on 2oz cereal, 2oz veggie, and 6oz of milk every four hours, and still does not sleep though the night, he still gets up once at 2 and will sleep until 6 then sleep until 8.
#9 of 14 Old 02-21-2009, 06:24 PM

I started my oldest who is a boy on rice cereal at about 3 weeks old because he was 8pounds 2 ounces 21 inches long and he was always hungry drinking 9ounce bottles back to back I gave it to him in every other bottle and he did fine with it and he is now 9yrs old and not over weight at all. My oldest daughter I also put rice in her bottle at 2 and a half months the twins I didnt do it with because they were put on special high calorie formula and with my youngest daughter who is almost 5months I started putting rice in her bottle at about 3 almost 4 weeks old. But thats just me!
#10 of 14 Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 PM

2 months is definately early for cereal from what I've read. Natural breastfeeding & bottle will have the best source of essentials for your baby. Keep in mind that all cereals are processed, and a lot of them are developed to taste good, not just to be the most healthiest. They're competing with all the other brands...
Check the sugar content of the cereal... even some plain granola cereals have more sugar then one may think... this was a surprise to me when I was looking at baby cereals.
I would stick to the bottle.. there are probably differing views, but bottle is safe! No downside..
#11 of 14 Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica786 View Post
2 months is definately early for cereal from what I've read. Natural breastfeeding & bottle will have the best source of essentials for your baby. Keep in mind that all cereals are processed, and a lot of them are developed to taste good, not just to be the most healthiest. They're competing with all the other brands...
Check the sugar content of the cereal... even some plain granola cereals have more sugar then one may think... this was a surprise to me when I was looking at baby cereals.
I would stick to the bottle.. there are probably differing views, but bottle is safe! No downside..
It's really between parents and their pediatrician. And I have NEVER seen granola cereal for an infant. I believe we are talking about RICE or barley cereal for infants, not the cereal you get in the cereal aisle at your grocery store. The thing is, every parent and every child is different, and there is no hard and fast rule on this. It's a personal decision.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#12 of 14 Old 03-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't do it unless your baby has reflux, or it's recommended by her doctor.
#13 of 14 Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Special Member

Is your child formula or breast fed. If breast fed, have the baby at the breast more often, it will encourage milk production to go up.

If formula fed, for a 2 month old, i believe it is 16-28oz of formula a day. Easy way to check, take her weight and multiply by 2, gives you a very rough idea. Also, another thing to consider is open gut, a baby's digestive system is still very open, so solids can cause a lot of issues. Definitely talk to your baby's ped.

AAP recommends breast milk /formula exclusively for the first 6 months, with solids for practice after that to the first birthday. Also, not all babies sleep through the night. My son is five months and doesn't.
#14 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 AM

My daughter was much like this. I did manage to hold off until she was almost 4 months and I even had some people tell me not to do it then. I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks. By the way, my daughter did just fine with it at 4 months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page