Diaper Rash - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM - Thead Starter

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you found helpful for severe diaper rash/redness?

(Besides the obvious ointments..... A&D, Desitin, etc)

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
When it is REALLY sore and looks like it's kinda bleeding or something I use warm, wet paper towels instead of wipes and medicated powder. Sometimes even putting the ointment on hurts there lil bums. Otherwise I find that Medicated A&D works really well.
#3 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
All Ive used with my last two was Butt Paste. They've never had anything too bad.

With Lys when she got it really bad (cause dad watched her more and never changed diapers ) I'd try and let her lay around (or run around) nekkid for awhile or like Krista - just warm wet towels.

#4 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
As long as it isn't yeast and needing medication (which I'm sure you would recognize) I always found that allowing Haley to go without a diaper for stretches at a time would help dry up the rash. Also when she was really little, I would remove her diaper and lay her in a patch of sun from the window.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#5 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM - Thead Starter

I would love to do the no diaper thing, but we have "issues" that could be really "bad", if you KWIM......

I'm doing the warm wet paper towels, A&D ointments and keeping an eagle eye (or nose) out for him. When it was really bad (I won't go TMI) I had a lukewarm baking soda bath for him to better irrigate his bottom & remove problem substances. (Can you tell I'm trying to be non-TMI.... LOL!) I am keeping him dry & clean, but his butt doesn't seem to get any better. I did try some medicated (Rx) medication with the last diaper change (had some from his LAST issue) and I'm hoping it helps. I'm to the point that I'm even thinking about some tylenol or IBU for discomfort.

I just feel so bad for him!

Kim

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#6 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I read that adding vinegar to the bath will help ... You might want to research it a bit before trying it though because it's not something I had heard before.
As for creams, a basic zinc oxide is supposed to be the very best thing for a non-yeast rash.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#7 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Desi had a diaper rash so bad that skin actually come of a part of her butt. The DR did an rx for this cream if I remember right it was called Bectoban (sp) it worked great. I hope the little guy feels better soon.
#8 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Special Member

Vinegar sounds like it would hurt. I was going to say baking soda, that's what we do if we're out of the Aveeno Oatmeal Bath. It comes in a box with packets that you shake into the water. I let him soak in it until the water cools then wrap him a towel for al long as he'll let me. Then powder and try to keep him dry. I like A & D but if it's really bad that will hurt too much. What's that medicated oinment they use for burns? Zach had that once b/c he had such a bad rash from rotovirus. It worked really well. We still have it. Someone was over once and she was s nurse and burned herself and said, darn i wish I had ______. I ran up and we had it from the diaper rash.
#9 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 1
Everyone tells me to get the zinc oxide stuff....
#10 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Also try and stay away from drinks and foods with citric acid, oranges/juices, fruits, tomatoe/sauces. This will cause irritation as well.
#11 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 05:30 PM - Thead Starter

No prob with the foods.... he won't eat those! LOL!

I'm just trying to keep him clean and dry.

Kim

&...

#12 of 12 Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM

When my nephew had really bad diaper rash as a toddler, my friend Terri told us to put vaseline on it and then cover it in powder. The regular diaper rash ointment burned his skin because the rash was so bad, and we didn't know what else to try. The vaseline and baby powder (with cornstarch) really worked. I have used it on Emily and Travis too.
The Aveeno diaper rash ointment is the best I have ever used. Travis has really sensitive skin, and it works great. I also like Boudreaux's Butt Paste, but the Aveeno works better for Travis.
Also, something else that is good to use is Aquaphor and then cover it with baby powder with cornstarch, and I agree with Abby, the Aveeno oatmeal bath is good.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page