User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried using non disposable diapers? I am planning on using newborn disposables for the belly button cut out and then would like to switch to cloth diapers but I don't know anything about them! Any input would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Becca has used them. I tried them, but they are a lot of work with all the washing and whatnot IMO. Unless you have a diaper service that is.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
With all 3 of my children I used cloth diapers.

You usually just have a large bucket with a secure lid (so baby can't drown in it, I always left mine in the laundry tub tho, it also saved me having to bend over to take the lid off , you make up a soaking solution (the napisan, or whatever brand they have over there) will tell you how strong to make it, I think it was 1 capful to 10 litres but it has been a really, really, really long time

You just empty any solids in the toilet and chuck the nappy in the bucket to soak. Each night I would put the nappies and baby clothes in the washing machine and turn it on and go to bed. Sometimes Des would hang it out (not often he started work at 5am in those days) otherwise when the kids went down for their morning nap I would hang it on the line while the load of general washing went thru.

I had a wonderful ottoman (foot stool) that had a padded top and the top lifted up so there was storage. I used to sit on the sofa, watch T.v while the kids had their afternoon nap and fold the nappies on the foot stool and add the nappy liner, when I had finished I would put them in the foot stool all ready to go (I used the top as a change table, with two of them I never seemed to use the change table in their bedroom

Nappy liners are wonderful things, you just pick them up and toss all the contents in the toilet, then the nappy goes in the soak bucket, I used to wash the liners that had only been wet on and iron them and reuse them to save money altho they were a new fangled thing in those days so they were a lot pricer then than they are now.

With boys you need to have a nappy pad (another nappy folded into a slim rectangle shape) to go in the middle of the nappy overnight bc little boys can pee right thru a single nappy overnight

You also need to have the little plastic pants that go over top of the nappy to stop leakage, I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called I'll go and look it up on google, they must have a picture of it somewhere.

be right back

#4 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Addicted Member

Here is one site, boy they sure got better with age, the ones we used were like the shower cup material, quite stiff plastic that tore easily and cracked, mind you they were a lot cheaper too.

http://www.tinytush.com/Nylon-Pull-O..._p_51-629.html

this is an australian site, boy nappies have sure changed since my kids where little, nappies used to just be a square piece of material, thick, soft and absorbant but still a square of material.

http://www.babybeehinds.com.au/

this is a great site it shows you exactly how to fold diapers, the page I've linked it to is the same method I used (the origami fold who knew they had names, when I was shown how to do it, it was just "this is how you fold a nappy" but it is a great way to do it, you have the extra material in the middle where the moisture is being applied

I think that is probably way more info than you wanted let me know if you have any other queries
#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Addicted Member

I use cloth with Lucas and really like it. I use what are called prefolds. They can be folded different ways and either pinned or snappied. I use Snappis, I am pin challenged If you're really interested, you can check out Diaper Swappers. I'll warn you though...with all the cute cloth diapers out there it can get addicting!
#6 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Likes Earned: 22
maree, you are just a fount of info on nappies!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 9 Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Thanks for all the info everyone! I think that I am going to be a disposable diaper user which I feel environmentally bad about but from a budget standpoint it doesn't look like I would save any money at all using the cloth ones, which I was really hoping that I would be able too. :-(
#8 of 9 Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
The diaper covers that Marie is speaking of here in the US are called: rubber pants They do come in handy while potty training if you decide not to use pullups. I don't use pullups during potty training and chose to use regular panties/undies and then rubber pants.
#9 of 9 Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Addicted Member

with 3 kids I went thru a lot of nappies LOL altho when the younger two were two and a half I switched to disposables bc they were generally only wearing three in a twenty four hour period and I was sick to death of nappies by then , Greg toilet trained himself at 2 yrs old and just barely that, I had no idea that that was not the norm. The other twio were in them forever. (well almost 3 which certainly felt like forever)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page