BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews

BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baby Basics (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Flu Shots (https://www.babyuniversity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180709)

Asiancracker 08-28-2009 01:17 PM

SO I just got my flu shot and was told they do have infant flu shots for babies 6+ months.

Is it a good idea to get Jerren a flu shot?
Who's gotten their LO a Flu shot? Any adverse reactions?

Grace 08-28-2009 03:02 PM

My dd is allergic to eggs and swelled up like a balloon. Unless your baby has an egg allergy, he probably won't have this reaction.

DQKaren 08-28-2009 03:04 PM

All 4 of mine got the flu shot (the little 3 need a 2nd dose) 2 weeks ago. No problems here yet.

Spaggie 08-29-2009 12:25 AM

Both of mine got the nasal spray thingy before school started.

Tara 08-29-2009 01:33 AM

I've never gotten my kids the flu vaccine.

Spaggie 09-02-2009 05:32 PM

I get it for the kids because it seems to run thru the school like wildfire here. Ally is at the 2nd smallest elementary in the district - someone gets something, it seems like half the school ends up with it. Neither of mine have ever had the flu, tho.

On another note, took Drew in to the Dr. Monday and got my flu shot while I was there. An hour later my upper arm was on fire, couldn't move it. Then my shoulder got tight. Then my neck. Next came a world class head ache. Which lead to the world's worst earache! Rick ended up having to stay home yesterday to get Ally off to school becasue I had been up all night. Weirest thing ever! I've never had that happen before! Ear is still bothering me today and my arm is still hot!

KimmerRN 09-04-2009 04:20 PM

Nope. My kids aren't getting it. They didn't have one last year and they didn't get any sicker than they did the year before. Also, the shots don't help if you get a strain of flu that isn't covered by the vaccine.

I only get mine because of all the crap I am exposed to at work... yeesh!

muna.taqi 09-10-2009 12:15 PM

I was planning to give my son the flu shot. There aren't any side effects, i guess.

DQKaren 09-10-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmerRN View Post
Nope. My kids aren't getting it. They didn't have one last year and they didn't get any sicker than they did the year before. Also, the shots don't help if you get a strain of flu that isn't covered by the vaccine.

I only get mine because of all the crap I am exposed to at work... yeesh!
This is SO true and this is the 1st year that all of mine have gotten it. My ped was pretty adamant that we ALL get it. I'll give it to the kids but I prolly won't get it myself.

Grace 09-10-2009 03:41 PM

I get it free at the VA so I will get it. I am the only one of us whom is not allergic to eggs.

Spaggie 09-11-2009 08:24 AM

Rick has to get it since he works at a hospital (it's free), but he still brings crud home. But Kimmer is right, if you get a strain that isn't covered by your shot, you are our of luck! But I figure better safe than sorry. And both of mine have gotten them since they were about 1 or 2.