Frustrated with Formulas - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I am frustrated when it comes to giving my baby formula. My son is 11 weeks today and is mostly breastfeed. I introduced him to formula at 7 weeks when I had to return to work. From since then I have had a rollercoaster experience in finding the right formula. I try to pump so that he would have some breastmilk while at the center, however, I fall short and that is where the formula comes in for my growing baby. At the begininning my son experienced constipation, belly aches, spit ups and would not defecate for days. The doctor suggested giving him a soy based formula, and it seemed to be working, he has been pooping in his diaper,however, he is contantly vomiting. It is usually a clear slim with milk, or deposites of milk that looks like it has not been digested yet. His farts are super stink! I don't know what to do. His skin began breaking out since I introduced him to formula and a friend told me that might be from the formula that is breaking him out. So far I have tried three different formulas and bought a new one to try today. Please help me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
sometimes breastfed babies break out due to fluxuations in the mother's hormones. It looks ugly, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I never used formula, so I don"t have any suggestions about which to try, but it does sound like he has an allergy. Good luck figuring this out.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 11 Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Something my pediatrician suggested was 1/2 and 1/2 half breast milk half formula and he had us use Good Start soy when you introduce them to formula it should not be a 100% formula if you can help it.

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!

#4 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Both of mine were bottle fed, but only one had this problem. Not an allergy, but more of a sensitivity. We went thru who knows how many different formulas with DD until we found one that worked for her. Then, by the time she was 6 months, the sensitivity mostly went away. Soy formulas worked better, as did the WAY expensive ones. Talk to your Dr about it.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM

My daughter is now 8 months old and we have use Enfamil A.R. Since she was two months. It sounds like your child has acid reflux...same as my daughter...you might want to try to use aformula with a rice starch base to it.
Good luck
#6 of 11 Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Have you checked out Nestle Good Start? We had very good success with it. Very little spitting up.
#7 of 11 Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM

My daughter was breastfed, but we did sometimes supplement with formula. She was allergic to milk-based formulas, so we switched to soy, and she was allergic to soy, so we had to use Nutramigen. It didn't work out to breastfeed my son, so his pediatrician told us to go straight to Nutramigen for him because lactose intolerance is the number one allergy for babies, and soy is the second one.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#8 of 11 Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Special Member

Do you want to keep breastfeeding, o do you want to switch to formula, as when it comes to sensitivities, it' easier to control breastmilk, as most formula has a cow's mik base (unless you look at soy formula).

I can give answers based on what direction you want to go.
#9 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM

My son went through 4 different formulas and ended up with Good Start Natural Cultures which is the formula closest to breastmilk. He's tried everything from soy to that REALLY expensive neutro-something formula. Maybe he needs to try that. It's from Enfimel and it's like $26 for a small container. Good luck mama!
#10 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Eckgrant, How is the formula search going? Hope your little peanut is doing better.
#11 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM

My child was breastfed first and then moved on to formulas, but our trial and error formula situation ended at the second attempt.
I don't know what there is on the market in America, but here in Europe the pediatricians consider Aptamil (in France it's called Milupa) to be the best formula there is, the nearest one to the breastmilk. If your baby accepts it, it's the best you can give him or her. However, me and three of my friends tried it, and all of us switched to other formulas because our babies got collics with Aptamil. And then we all tried different things and ALL ended up doing fantastic with a formula called HIPP BIO. It's organic and all of our babies adapted to it without any problems. Maybe it exists in the US. HIPP is a German brand, famous for it's fruit and vegetable baby foods, and they have this really good formula that was an absolute success with us here. If you guys have Nestle, I'm sure you have Hipp also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page