please tell me I am paranoid! - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-05-2002, 11:11 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I am new with a question.

My son was born 3 weeks ago. Today we ttok a nap, and I woke up when he started fussing. I waited a few minutes to see if he was really awake, and decided to get up anyway. I went over to his bassinet and thought he wasn't breathing! So I put my hand on his tummy to wake him up, and he jerked awake. Do you think he had stopped breathing, or am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Addicted Member

I think all new mothers ( some veterans) do that. Ian is my third baby and I do that all the time. He probably didn't stop breathing. But If I were you, I would keep an eye on him just the same. Some babies have sleep apnea, where they stop breathing for a few seconds. But don't worry too much, more than likely he was breathing just fine. At night, I still reach over and lay a hand on Ian's tummy, just to make sure it is still going up and down with each breath.
#3 of 13 Old 05-06-2002, 01:21 AM

That is really scary Laurie! I think I'd have to agree with Shona, but I would definitely mention this to you ds's Dr. just to be on the safe side.
Let us know how you make out, we'll be thinking of you

#4 of 13 Old 05-06-2002, 01:28 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I would agree about mentioning it to the Dr just to be on the safe side. And yes we all do it I remember my Dad saying how sometimes he would wake up standing by the cot, bc we didn't 'sound right', heck we probably 'baby snored' or something, but better to be safe than sorry
#5 of 13 Old 05-06-2002, 01:50 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
It is always better to be safe than it is to be sorry....and just keep an eye on him a bit more.....if he does have sleep apnea thenyou can let your dr know
#6 of 13 Old 05-07-2002, 01:45 AM

Likes Earned: 22
I did that with both of mine. I wouldn't worry, but mention it to the dr. just in case.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 13 Old 06-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Addicted Member

I agree with mentioning it to your Dr. They will probably have you bring in so they can check him out just in case. I had my son in my room until 6 months and I did it every night, would peer into the bassinet or touch his belly to feel it move. And yes, he would jerk also and immediately settle down. I especially did it when I expected him to wake at a certain time and he didn't. I can tell you when he was about 2 months old, he slept from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. and scared the *&# out of me when I woke up because he hadn't! I still go up to his room if I hear or don't hear him on the monitor. Does that ever go away? I have a feeling I will be checking on him like that until he moves away!!!
#8 of 13 Old 06-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Special Member

I agree with Shona -- and I still do the same thing with my 3rd baby. Heck -- my first is 6 years old and I still stand over her and make sure I can see her chest moving up and down.

But I know with babies it's more difficult to see ... they tend to breath using their stomach muscles, which means that many times you can't even see their chest moving.

It never hurts to ask the doctor, but I imagine what you noticed is fairly normal.
#9 of 13 Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 PM

Well the starling is also a reflex...and yep you do it no matter how many kids you have. I am so paranoid I even check the cat!
#10 of 13 Old 06-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Special Member

LOL -- I've even caught myself checking on Mike before. Talk about habit forming!
#11 of 13 Old 06-27-2002, 07:22 AM

I agree with the others. I still do that to my baby as well, it just seems to be too hard for us to believe that they really do know how to breath. Maybe they forget when they sleep too deep. ( Just kidding)
The jerking probably was the startling reflex, but mention it to your doctor if you think he really stopped.
#12 of 13 Old 06-27-2002, 07:26 AM

Oh, they are just too precious not to make sure.

I just remembere, Jerome would not sleep on his back, so he and Cedric as well are both belly sleepers. For Jerome we got a babymonitor called Angerl care. It is a pat you put under the mattress, and it detects motion, as little as swallow breathing. We use it now with Cedric, and it is a nice piece of reassurance when I wake up at night when it used to be Cedric's time to wake as well, and he is still breathing. If the alarm did not go up I know he sleeps and didn't die.
I love that thing, even though it is kinda pricey. But you might get it on ebay for less if you are interested.
#13 of 13 Old 06-27-2002, 05:11 PM

Don't feel crazy. My baby is 20 months old and I still check on her and make her sleep with me to feel better. He may have been having a dream and that's why he jumped. Your doctor will reaasssure you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page