User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good call girls!! That is exactly what Sydney has. I love going to the Dr. with an idea of what I'm going there for, I think he was impressed and actually a little surprised that I had an idea of what it was, thanks to you girls!

He said that it's not bad, just a little on her lips and on the tip of her tongue. He actually thought it was on the back of her throat too, but I said "No, actually she just puked all over your floor..." So that's what it was.

He gave me some oral medicine to give her 4 times a day, after she eats. It's really hard actually, the bottle says that you should put half a dropper full on the inside of one cheek and then the other half on the other cheek and that it's supposed to stay in her mouth for as long as possible, before she swallows. Yah, that's easy! And then I read somewhere else, that you should actually put the medicine on a swab (maybe a Qtip?) and put it in her mouth that way, so the dropper doesn't become contaminated. Has anyone ever done this? Any easier ideas?

They also told me to either boil the crap out of her soothers or just go and buy new ones. I'm wondering, should I put her toys in the wash too? They're always in her mouth.

As for me, I'm fine. No itchy yet. Thank goodness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-02-2002, 05:15 PM

Likes Earned: 22
You can sterlize her soothers by putting them in the dishwahser, then rinsing in hot water (to make sure there is no dish soap on them) or boil them for a few minutes. Wash all of her toys that are washable. Clena the others with a disinfectant cleaner - NO BLEACH if she puts them in her mouth.

We did the Q-Tip thing when Ally had it, but she was only 1 month old. However, it sounds like a good idea not to contaminate the dropper.

Glad you haven't caught it!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#3 of 21 Old 07-02-2002, 07:37 PM

I'm glad you are not itchy

When Kale had it we used a dropper .. we had two and I'd just boil one for a minute after I used it. The swab was too absorbant (splg) and it seemed to suck up too much of the medication and not enough got on his mouth. I also made sure he got atleast 1 tablespoon of yogurt a day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

#4 of 21 Old 07-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
When Liz had thrush I put the stuff on a qtip and put it one that way. It was way to hard the other way
#5 of 21 Old 07-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I used a dropper with Haley. I'm glad you got a diagnosis and are working on getting Sydney better.

Just to make sure you don't get it...always clean off your nipples with warm water (NO soap!) after breastfeeding and let them air dry. Yeast tends to like warm damp skin.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of 21 Old 07-03-2002, 03:04 AM
Addicted Member

If you do get it, my Dr. Told me to get the cream you use for athletes foot. And rub it on your breasts. It does take the itching away.
#7 of 21 Old 07-03-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
But make sure you wash it off before you Breast feed! I was always told to put some of Haley's medicine on my breats because it didn't need to be washed off.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#8 of 21 Old 07-05-2002, 08:38 AM

I am sorry she has thrush, but it clears up pretty quickly once you start the meds. Maddie was only a few weeks old and we just used the dropper as well.
#9 of 21 Old 07-05-2002, 01:22 PM - Thead Starter

Well, we've been using the medication for a week now, and I noticed this morning, that it's getting worse.
I give her the medication 4 times a day, and that doesn't seem to be helping.
Did you worry about how long it stays in their mouth for? And what did you do with their soothers or the toys that they put in their mouth? Do I have to wash them every single day or everytime she puts them in her mouth?

At least I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm afraid that the longer she has it, then I will get it for sure.

Please
#10 of 21 Old 07-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
check back with your dr it shouldn't be getting worse after 4 days it should be almost gone by now. Can you ring the practice Nurse and ask her advice, I have found they are very good at letting you know wether to bring baby in or else try....... whatever they suggest, otherwise talk to your chemist and take along what ever you are giving her so he can see it.

Let us know how the poor wee mite is doing.
#11 of 21 Old 07-05-2002, 01:58 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks Maree. If it's not better at the beginning of next week, I think I'll call the Dr.

Also, she's been spitting up quite a bit since last week, could it be the meds, or just a coincidence? She's not fussy at all.
#12 of 21 Old 07-05-2002, 02:08 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I think if I was swallowing a yeast infection into my stomach I'd be spitting up a bit too not a pleasant thought.

All the things I know to do are strictly topical and wouldn't work for the mouth, I do know that when I used to get it every week or even more often the Dr used to give me scripts for a once only tablet that worked in hours, but I am a grown woman not a little baby. And as you say I don't know if she is old enough for yogurt.

I know asidophilus (sp) tablets eventually managed to break the cycle but I took only 5 and then immediatly moved to OZ so it is more likely the change of climate and diet had more to do with it but the tablets did help and if it eveer comes back I'm going straight down to get some. Boy that got a bit off topic lol.

Best of luck with her and I am glad you do not have it too
#13 of 21 Old 07-06-2002, 09:31 AM

Leah you might want to use some cream on your self just to be safe. Even if you aren't itching or sore you could still have a slight infection and could be passing it back to her. I agree ti should not be worse. Within 48 hours Maddie's was pretty cleared up and she had it really bad! So bad she could not nurse. I had to feed her from a dropper because it hurt her mouth to eat!
#14 of 21 Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 PM - Thead Starter

Should I be taking her back to the Dr.?? Is it possible that the medication isn't working? She has been spitting up everytime you look at her this week, and not just little pukes either, I'm talking like whole meals.

Meagan, do you mean that I should get some topical cream for thrush for myself? Or just something like lanolin to make sure my don't crack?
#15 of 21 Old 07-07-2002, 11:40 PM

I would do the topical cream for yourself Leah and I would call the doctor and see if they want her to come back in.
#16 of 21 Old 07-07-2002, 11:43 PM - Thead Starter

Probably a good idea. Thanks Meagan.
#17 of 21 Old 07-09-2002, 08:06 PM - Thead Starter

I think Sydney's thrush might be gone. I thought that it was getting worse, because there was still some on the inside of her cheeks, but none on her lips and tongue anymore, I thought it spread.
But today, I opened her mouth and wiped the inside of it and now the white stuff is gone. I thought that with thrush, you wouldn't be able to wipe it away????
#18 of 21 Old 07-09-2002, 10:20 PM

No you can't wipe it away and if you try it can even bleed some!
#19 of 21 Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 PM - Thead Starter

Well, maybe it's gone then?? I'll just keep checking and see if it comes back.
I sure hope it's gone, I'm tired of boiling and washing everything, every time I turn around.
#20 of 21 Old 07-10-2002, 09:19 AM

I know what you mean! I was lucky enough that Maddie was only a few weeks old at the time and she did not do anything but nurse! No boiling for me!
#21 of 21 Old 07-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Special Member

Im glad its gone or going away, I remember when Shyanne got that! Yuck! What a pain, I worried so much.
I hope she doesn't get it again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page