15 month old temper tantrums - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, yesterday Liz had major temper tantrums. She wouldn't let me put her down. WhenI did she grabbed onto me or completely arched her back and did that deep throat blood curdling scream. This went on for a couple of hours. I finally had to put her in her crib and close the door. SHe still screamed for about 20 min.

How do you deal with them at this young age???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-07-2002, 02:17 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
beat them severely with big heavy objects of course that was a joke peoples.

It sounds like you did the only thing possible by just leaving her. I'm sure you did the normal checks for nappy's, feeding, sickness blah blah blah and as you said his was just a tantrum. She will have to learn that she cannot get her own way that way or every time she wants anything she will throw a full blown tantrum.

The other thing I would suggest, which I'm sure you already know, is to pay her lots of attention when she is behaving well, lots of hugs, kisses, talking to her and telling her how good she is. If she starts misbehaving, ignore her, if she gets worse put her in her drib. She is a very bright girl she will very soon get the hang of it. If she dosn't figure this out now I would hate to be around when she hits the terrible twos, bc that is when tantrum throwing in some kids becomes an art form.

I used to tell mine, "feel free to have a tantrum but I'll just put you in your room until you are finished so nobody disturbs you" then I would put them in their room and if nessecary hold the doorknob so they couldn't get out. (If out I would put them in the car seat in the car and stay outside until they finished)

Kids arn't stupid, they very quickly realise throwing a tantrum with no audience is no fun LOL
#3 of 9 Old 07-07-2002, 07:13 AM
Addicted Member

Thank you Maree, you are so right

#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2002, 10:06 AM

Likes Earned: 0
I think you did the right thing too. Gavin has been having them too lately, but I guess that is a subject for a different board.
#5 of 9 Old 07-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Special Member

I read this cause Shyanne does the same things every once in a while, And Maree.. What GREAT advice! I can use it!
#6 of 9 Old 07-12-2002, 12:52 AM

That is what worked in my house too.
Hope it catches on so your little one settles down faster for you.
It is so hard not to try and make it all better but that is not something you want to do forever. GOOD JOB MICHELE!
#7 of 9 Old 07-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Addicted Member

That is ok today she had a temper tantrum at supper. My mom and I ignoredher, and she was watching Grandpa....when Grandpa looked at her we had to givehim heck....becuase then she really let go. Once we told him not to look at her, and she realized she wasnt' going to get any attention then she was fine.....but it sure took a bit, andi know it didn'thelp that we were in a strange house with strange people (she only sees grandma and grandpa about 2 or 3 times a year in person, the rest of the time its with the web cam)
#8 of 9 Old 07-12-2002, 03:32 AM

Do you think she's doing it for attention Michele? If so, then I would try ignoring her, or not giving her the kind of attention she is looking for. It might work and it might not.
#9 of 9 Old 07-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Addicted Member

That is part of it I think Leah....so that is what we have been doing. When she gets really bad we turn our backs on her, or go to a different room....

I know part of it is because she is around new people and in a new place....but heck it gets a little tiring after awhile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page