Doesn't like sleeping alone - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-06-2002, 01:58 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we have figured out Kale's sleeping problem. He doesn't like to sleep alone! He does fine in our bed with me (Stanis working nights). He just does not like to sleep alone. He will go to sleep in his bed by himself .. but if he wakes up he just wants to be with me in the big bed.

So ... for now, I say what the heck. In a few years he won't want to sleep with me anymore and I'll miss that! So, I'm gonna stop stressing out about his not sleeping and if he wakes up, just let him sleep with me if he wants to!

But I'm not nurising him at night anymore. Just water ... sems to be working fine. He only screams at me for a minute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-06-2002, 02:07 PM

If you're comfortable with it Roxanna, then by all means. I sometimes like having Sydney in bed with me too, only when Marco's not there though, there's not enough room for all of us.
#3 of 22 Old 10-06-2002, 04:01 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Whatever works for you guys. Personally, the kids are not allowed to sleep in my bed unless they are sick or it's storming or something. But that's because they sleep like windmills. Ever been kicked (literally) out of your own bed by a 5 year old? Not fun!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

#4 of 22 Old 10-06-2002, 06:34 PM

I still end up with Rachel in my bed 3 out of 4 nights, too Roxanna. And she is 4 yrs old now! I tuck her into her own bed at bedtime, but by 4 or 5 am I have company! Sometimes she keeps me awake and I take her back, sometimes she doesn't so I let her stay. She's always been such a little cuddlebug. I'm sure she'll grow out of it and I'll remember our early morning cuddle/naps fondly, though.
#5 of 22 Old 10-06-2002, 10:45 PM - Thead Starter

I'd really like for him to stay in his own bed! But I need some sleep. And 3 hours a night for weeks on end is not working for me!!
#6 of 22 Old 10-07-2002, 06:47 PM

My Jenna ends up in bed with me every night! She is such a good sleeper, except when she is alone in her crib. I work, so I need as much sleep as possible, and I find that when I take her in bed, I only get up once a night for a feeding. I think it's perfectly heatly, and hey, enjoy it now. There will come a day when they don't want to cuddle!
#7 of 22 Old 10-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Addicted Member

I have been there Roxanna! DH works nights to, so I stopped fighting with him and would bring him to bed with me. Otherwise he would wake up every hour and I wasn't getting any good sleep. You need sleep to function properly and Stan isn't there so it isn't hurting anything. As you say, he will want to be on his own before you know it, so enjoy it while you can! Now DS sleeps great on his own, I lay him down, maybe a whimper and either he plays or goes to sleep. Doesn't wake up until 4:30-5:30. I do miss sleeping with him but the few times he has woken up, he kicks so bad, I have to put him back upstairs.
#8 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 12:26 AM - Thead Starter

Stan is on 2nd now! So I guess it'll be a crowded bed tonight. Good thing we have a King.
#9 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I have brought Liz into bed with me from time to time too
#10 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 01:36 AM

I usually rock Ethan to sleep & then put him in his bed very carefully as not to wake him. He usually wakes up in the middle of the night & spends the rest of the night in the bed with me. I don't mind it though,I just reach over & pick him up & go back to sleep. I enjoy cuddling with the little guy.
#11 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I read in a book about family beds that a lot of people sleep with the cot beside Mum with the side down, so that baby is right by Mum but still in his own sleeping space.

Don't know if you have the room for that, but it may be worth a try, then you can try moving the cot futher away from the bed until he is in his own room again??

Hope something works for ya!!! Or are you just trying to weasel out of the 7 day challenge
#12 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 04:22 PM

For the past month, my Jonathan ends up with me every night too. Usually he falls asleep while I am nursing him. Then I put him to bed, gently so as not to wake him up. But he always ends up waking up around 1 am to eat......but problem is, after that, he wants to stay attached to his mother all night. As a result, I barely sleep.....and have to go to work the next day!

I don't mind the sleeping with us part, in fact, I enjoy it and so does my husband! But the sleeping attached part - I do. Lately, I have been able to get him to lay down but he keeps waking up every few hours. Whereas before, he would sleep for 6-7 hrs......no problem! I wonder if it's the teething thing? He recently got his 1st 2 teeth in, at the same time.

I guess I need to stick to my guns and just soothe him but not pick him up! But at 1 am....I am so exhausted it's just easier to pick him up and deal with it another time....ya know?
#13 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 04:34 PM - Thead Starter

He is in our room ... just not on the side of the bed. He likes to sleep touching me!!! The past few nights he has come to bed with us around 1:30 .. then back to his bed in about 15 minutes ( I don't nurse him ) and then back into our bed close to 4am. It is getting better. I figure he just needs me a little more right now .. so what the heck!

And Maree ... we can always get up and go to the livingroom for the 7 day challange!
#14 of 22 Old 10-08-2002, 10:04 PM

Roxanna, both of my kids have slept with me. Maddie still does. She starts out in her own bed but always ends up in bed with us by morning. Gavin is sleeping in his own bed now and knows that unless there are special circumstances he can not sleep in our bed. It is rare that he asks to sleep with us still. I say go with it. 20 years from now Kale will be happily sleeping in his own bed and it is not worth it to lose sleep over.
#15 of 22 Old 10-12-2002, 03:25 PM

Please let your littles sleep with you if they want to. It's so good for them. My husband and I never wanted to sleep alone after we got married and we're grownups. How could we expect that from tiny people? Yes, we gave up some of our privacy for many years but now they're all sleeping in their own beds and we're all happy. # 1 is a college sophmore -- not only sleeping but living away from home now and doing fine. # 2 will be going into pre-med a year from now. # 3 is a free spirit and a joy. # 4 is a loveable, loving, extremely thoughtful and polite young person. And # 5 is the joy of our lives (only boy after 4 girls) and a handsome, young student council representative. They're all happy, healthy and normal. I am so glad we used the family bed. I don't believe anyone is going to wake up years from now and say "Gee I wish my kids had slept in their own beds when they were little. It really ruined my life". Mine all eventually drifted off to their own space and yours will too. Have fun and enjoy them while you can. God's Blessing on your family.
#16 of 22 Old 10-12-2002, 08:40 PM

I'm just wondering what age this is all starting at....and, do you have bars on the bed, or something so they don't fall out or so you don't roll on them?
#17 of 22 Old 10-12-2002, 09:23 PM

Noelle, your response touched me so much!! Thank you so much for sharing....I am in {{happy puddles}} right now I feel exactly the same way. Sometimes a little voice in my heart says.....IN WHAT UNIVERSE CAN IT BE WRONG TO CUDDLE YOUR BABIES no matter what age?? Thank you again
#18 of 22 Old 10-12-2002, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steph730
I'm just wondering what age this is all starting at....and, do you have bars on the bed, or something so they don't fall out or so you don't roll on them?
Gavin started sleeping with us at about 3 weeks. Maddie slept with me from the first night...right in the hospital. At first I used a bed rail. You can purchase them at Kmart. Now Maddie sleeps in between Court and I. I never rolled over on either one of my kids. I can not explain it exactly but it is like I somehow just know that she is there. I have never worried about it either. I have worried about Court rolling over on her and that is why at first I slept in the middle. I feel like I carried them both for nine months and I neither one of us is ready to break that bond of closeness. Co-sleeping makes nursing so much easier and I feel like it creates a bond between all of us.
#19 of 22 Old 10-13-2002, 11:03 AM - Thead Starter

Noelle .. thank you for your wonderful words!

Kale has slpet with us on and off since birth. THere was a four or five month period that he just prefered his bed. We don't have rails .... we use pillows. And I've never worried about rolling over on him or any of our kids.
#20 of 22 Old 10-13-2002, 11:07 AM

I have used pillows too. The bed rail just gave us more room!
#21 of 22 Old 10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Special Member

I just read this and have to say that I love the family bed!! Alexander slept with us off and on until he was about 8 months and since then he has been a constant in our bed. We all three love it!!

We got Alexander a toddler bed months ago and tried getting him use to it. He would take naps in it fine, but at night he wanted to sleep in our bed. We didn't see the point in forcing him to sleep in it, so he's still sleeping in our bed - and he just turned two - and shows no signs of wanting to sleep alone.

Alexander sleeps in the middle and we've never rolled on top of him or come close to doing so. Luckily we also have a king bed, so we have plenty of room for the three of us. Because Billy leaves for work at 2:00 a.m., we have a bedrail that we use on his side to keep Alexander from rolling off. When I get up to get ready for work, I just put pillows on my side and he's usually up within the hour.

When this baby comes, if it works for us to have them in our bed also, we will do it. Like others have said, they are only young once and they will all too soon want to sleep in their own bed in their own room. So for us, I know that the family bed is right.

So, Roxanna, I personally think if Kale wants to sleep with mommy, you shouldn't feel bad about letting him. Just enjoy the time you have with him!!
#22 of 22 Old 10-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Christian comes into our bedroom around 2:30. But lately has been moving that up too 4 or 5 when Den gets up for work

I love when he cuddles with us but we only have a full size bed. Have you ever tried sleeping with a 2 year old who sleeps daigonally on the bed and me with a pregnant belly. Someone hangs off the bed and it is usually ME!!! So I don't sleep well in bed and we normally take him back except on Saturday night. Den does not have to get up for work on Sundays and we let him stay when he comes in because he loves waking up with both mommy and daddy.

Christian never slept with us til he was 18 months and we put him in his big boy bed then he started to come in. Neither one of us have ever thought we were going to roll on him. We know he is there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page