"Non" separation anxiety - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 12:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m a first time mom and my son is almost 14 months old. He’s the love of my life and we have a great time together. He has never had separation anxiety. Once or twice he was a little clingy and fussy when I dropped him off at daycare - but this was right after the long holidays and it was only for one day - then he was back to normal. The minute we walk into daycare, he goes right over to the other kids and toys and never looks back. When I say bye-bye, he looks up, waves, blow’s me a kiss, says bye-bye and goes right back to playing.
I realize that most mom’s are thinking “how lucky”. (My sister is one of them.)

My “issue” though is everything I’ve read about separation anxiety says “It’s a good thing. It means you have bonded with your child.” So… what does that mean for me? Everyone at daycare laughs at me because I get “bummed” when he “doesn’t care” that I leave. I guess I was under the impression that separation anxiety is a stage that all children go though and I was trying to prepare myself for it, then it never happened.
I’m just curious what others have to say and think about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Hi! I know it feels awful for you, but it is a good thing. I have 3 kids, 2 of which had SEVERE sep. anxiety. I couldn't run to the bathroom at my parents' house without Kevin screaming bloody murder! But Aaron was totally different! When I would go anywhere, he went on playing like it didn't matter if I ever came back! So I guess it just depends on the child. And I know that I have bonded with Aaron. So I think ya'll are fine, it's just different personalities. Hope I helped!
#3 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Although I also think that you are lucky to not be going through sep. anxiety, maybe he just hasn't gotten to that stage yet.
At the nursery where I work we have a little girl who will be 2 next month. For the first 5 months I worked there she was the perfect drop off. Didn't cry, just waved bye to her mother. But for the past 3 weeks she has thrown a fit when her mom tries to leave.

Kids all have different personalities and you should count yourself lucky that you have such a happy and well adjusted child. I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear. sorry.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 02:23 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Yes, most children do go thru separation anxiety, but not all. It just means that your son is comfortable and feels safe and secure where he is. that is not sya he won't go thru it later. My son didn't go thru it until he was almost 2. My DD, however, has benn going thru it for almost 8 months!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 03:26 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you all for your response's. They are comforting me and making me feel better!

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Hey he jus tmay not have hit that stage yet...or he may never go through it...

My dd has SEVERE sep. anxiety...if I leave the room to go to the bathroom she has to come wtih me...drives me She is getting better though....I can tell her mommy is goin gto warm up our school bus and i will be back inside in a minute.....(usually while Berenstain Bears are on--or depending on how cold it is...Blues Clues)and she actually waves at me...

I do wish she never hit this stage though...it makes it hard fo rme or dh to go out...he is a smoker and smokes outside...she spazzes when he goes out....or depending on ehr mood....if dh goes to the bathroom...or somedays even if our room mate goes out or something.....
#7 of 7 Old 01-16-2003, 06:21 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said. I think he just feels safe at hi daycare. It's not that he doesn't care about you, he knows it is playtime for him and mom will be back later to get him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page