Should you ban binkies? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 11:48 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should you ban the binky? The answer is NO and here is why...

Understanding pacifier use

Why it happens

Sucking on a pacifier is completely natural; just as with thumb sucking, many children form the habit when they're babies. It calms and soothes them and makes them feel secure well into the toddler years. Experts call a pacifier a transitional object, which is anything that helps your child adjust to new or challenging situations -- starting daycare or going on long car rides -- and relieves his stress.

What to do
Ignore it. While it may be difficult, make an effort to resist any urge to "ban the binky," especially if you have a young toddler who's still attempting to master new skills such as soothing himself. As your child grows older, his need to suck diminishes and he'll likely give up the pacifier on his own anyway, as many kids do.

Once he learns other ways to cope and communicate more effectively (around age 3), he'll start relying on the pacifier less and less. And when he starts attending preschool and discovers that the other children (or most of them) don't have pacifiers in their mouths, he'll be motivated to give up the habit altogether. This is one area where peer pressure may work better than parental mandates.

Stay safe and hygienic. Being low-key about your child's pacifier habit doesn't mean you ought to let your health standards slide. You can teach him to wash his pacifier if he drops it, and make sure he doesn't share it with his playmates. Inspect his pacifier to make sure the nipple is firmly attached to the shield and doesn't pose a choking hazard.

Preempt boredom with other activities. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, older kids tend to suck on pacifiers when they're bored. Try to anticipate times when you know your child will be bored and offer more interesting activities as substitutes. If you're waiting in line at the post office, for example, give him a book to page through or make funny faces at him instead of handing him his pacifier.

Some kids suck on their pacifiers when they're feeling insecure. If he seems to turn to his binky when he's worried or scared, help him put his emotions into words. Ask questions to find out what'd really going on inside, and reassure him with hugs and kisses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
You know I read this and thought it said to ban bikinis! My little one still uses hers. Less and less each day!
#3 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
No I don't think we should ban them. Christian needed them so he could learn to eat. He gave his up at 6 months.

Kels does suck on her fingers but she won't turn a bink away.

#4 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't agree with banning them either.
#5 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 12:45 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I changed the way the thread read... it is not supporting the ban of binkies and explains why they need them and not to stress over it....

sorry for the confusion.

Brandon uses one and it is my lifesaver when he is cranky!
#6 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Addicted Member

Jonathan uses one. I think he uses it more to chew on when he's teething than anything else. I got him a gel-filled one for that. It works wonders for us. He was never very attached to it until he started teething. When he wants it, he goes and finds it. Otherwise, he just goes and plays. I think they are great.
#7 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Special Member

Alexander used one until he was a little over two, but only when he was going to sleep. I was always thankful that he wasn't one of those to walk around with a pacifier in his mouth all the time.

Elizabeth won't take a pacifier and we've tried because she does like to use me as one when she's falling asleep at night. But for some reason she doesn't need it during the day, which is good for Billy since I'm back at work now.
#8 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
Jared used one until he was about 7 mos, and then he weaned himself from it. I kinda wish he'dve kept using, it, cuz now he chews on mine and dh's shirts...
#9 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Special Member

Italy never really used one but they are a life saver when I am trying to get babies pictures taken at the portrait studio!!! I don't know what I would do without them even if we didn't use them personally!
#10 of 22 Old 05-02-2003, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DQKaren
You know I read this and thought it said to ban bikinis! My little one still uses hers. Less and less each day!
Karen

My boys all had binkies and I regret it BIG time ! with my last little guy Trenton I was NOT going to use one and I went to have a cigarette in hospital and came back and the frigging nurse had one in his mouth I was so ticked and the child never parted with it since but he is now tapering off of it THANK GOODNESS !

But my sisters little girl *Emmy* sucks her thumb and is so addicted to it but least with a bink you can throw it away but you can't cut off the thumb god forbid.
#11 of 22 Old 05-05-2003, 11:40 AM

Ok what should I do, my son is 9 months has 7 teeth, and I caught him biting off the niple part of the pacifier! I freaked! He still uses one to sooth him when he crys. So I am not really wanting him to give it up, but he just bites holes in them and now its the nipples to the bottle too! Has this happend to anyone else?
#12 of 22 Old 05-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Special Member

That would scare me too, Hannah. Alexander never bit his, so I have no advice for you. I hope someone else can help you out.

And I must say that I have had other mothers tell me that it was the nurses at the hospital that started their kids on pacifiers. I can understand why the nurses would want the kids to use them, but shouldn't they ask the parents first? We told them with both our kids not to use them and I guess since we had them in the room with us the whole time, the nurses didn't have a chance to give them one. That would just infuriate me if they went against my wishes.
#13 of 22 Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Alisha used her for a long time because she gave up the bottle early. I think they all need to suck somehow and someway, it is the nature I think. I know some people are totally against them, but I am not. Plus I always enjoy picking out the cute little designs they have on the binkies.
#14 of 22 Old 05-12-2003, 01:09 PM

I don't think they should be banned either. Both of my dds used them and I
#15 of 22 Old 05-12-2003, 01:11 PM

oops I hit submit to quick... I was saying that both of my daughters used them and I see nothing wrong with them.
#16 of 22 Old 05-12-2003, 02:51 PM

When Sydney was first born, I didn't want her having a suckie. But then it was just something that kept her happy and quiet, and let me have some sanity. Babies need to suck and it's either that or they're eating everytime you turn around. I talked to my Mom about it and she said "What are you worried about? You will never see a child that goes to school sucking on a bottle or a suckie, so let them have it! They'll give it up when they're ready." And she is so right!! Sydney gave up her suckie all on her own, at 10 months, a week after she started at daycare. Now I'm just fretting about taking her off the bottle, but like my Mom said, What's the hurry?
#17 of 22 Old 05-12-2003, 09:33 PM

out of all my kids my DD was the only child that would suck on one my son never did and neither did my second sone or my last son i don't think they should be banned they worked wonders for her when she was hungry and i was makeing a bottle it really helped
#18 of 22 Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 PM

All I can say is to whoever invented the pacifier!!!

Yep my kids have them and use them and love them. And they are a life saver as far as I am concerned. Gavin is not using one anymore and Maddie still uses one but I am beginning to limit her use. And I will give this baby one to use if they want it.
#19 of 22 Old 05-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
My daughter weaned from her paci at 14 months...my son is almost 4 months and he's never taken to one...I just read in ePregnancy magazine that they should be avoided for the first month with breastfeeding babies.
#20 of 22 Old 06-19-2003, 02:08 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Zachary was broke from the binky by 5mo. Bailey never took one. So Emily really threw me for a loop when she was still taking one past a year old! In fact, she is 2.5 and STILL takes one but only when tired/bedtime, long car rides or when she needs tests taken for her heart disease. I will let her have it until she weans herself. The poor girl has gone through enough crap, why make her upset by taking away something she loves? Plus, i sucked my thumb till i was almost 10yrs old at night! I was embarrassed and ashamed but would still wake up with it in my mouth. AND i had to wear braces for 3yrs to correct my teeth! I haven't really heard much about a binky messing with children's teeth. Anyone know cuz i would really like to know the answer to that one?
#21 of 22 Old 06-20-2003, 08:49 AM

My dentist said so long as they are no longer using them by 4 or 5. Gavin only quit this past december..he was exactly 3 years and 10 months!!!! And during the move we found one of his old pacifiers and if hadn't of moved so fast he would have been using it again. I think at 4 1/2 he is too old..thought so at 3 1/2....

But I also figure that he is not going to be removing the pacifier from his mouth to say "I do" on his wedding day.
#22 of 22 Old 06-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
You are probably right about that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page