Fat Baby or Healthy Baby? - Page 2 - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-17-2001, 04:48 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
respond to this thread. When Drew was born he was 7 lbs 8.4 oz & 19 1/2 inches. Just about "average". At 3 months he was 17 lbs, 22 inches, had already cut his first tooth and was taking 8 8oz bottles a day. He wouldn't eat cereal (always spit it out), so we had to start feeing him solids (baby food). Until he was 4 he was always (and I do mean ALWAYS) the largest kid in his daycare class. In fact, he was so big at 18 months that they had to move him to the 2-3 year old class. At 1 year he wore 2T clothes. I got constant comments from people because he was so "chubby", "big", "large", etc... The doctor said he was perfectly normal for him. I was so used to him being bigger than other kids his age that I got worried when he seemed to quit growing at 4 years old. He wore the same size for just over 2 years! Now he is going through a growth spurt (5T to 5 slim to 5 to 6 slim in less than 6 months!), but is still very skinny, so now I hear the other side. In fact, even I have said to him that he looks like I don't feed him enough! As long as the doctor says he is healthy I don't worry. But sometimes I just want to bonk people who make comments, especially within his hearing. What, do they think he is deaf? He actully asked me a few years ago if he was fat after someone made a comment about how big he was?! I'm not sure if he even really understood what he was asking, but I told him he was perfect just the way he was.

Now I get comments about my daughter (6 weeks). She is small (0-3 month clothes are still very big on her) and people constantly comment on how tiny she is (even though she is up to 8 lb 4 oz - 2 lbs since birth!). Having learned (hopefully!) from my DS's experience, I just say that Ally is the perfect size for Ally!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 02-18-2001, 01:26 AM

Likes Earned: 0
I understand somewhat. My son is 19 1/2 months old and just barely 20 pounds! His doctor swears I starve him. My parents joke he's got worms or something. After a while it really starts to hurt. I mean the boy never stops eating!!! If only I had his metabolism.
#33 of 45 Old 02-26-2001, 04:36 AM

Don't worry, all of you mums out there with (so-called) large babies.

My youngest son weighed in at just under 9 pounds at birth, he was two weeks early and had doubled his birth weight by the time he was two months. He is now 14 months and is just starting to lose the weight.

My eledest son weighed in at just six pounds at birth, but he was six weeks early (imagine if he had been full term). He also doubled his birth weight in only a couple of months. He was about 2 when the weight literally fell off. He is now 4 years and is as skinny as anything. He weighs as much as my 14 month old.

So just because your children as on the chubby side now doesn't mean that they are going to stay that way.

#34 of 45 Old 02-26-2001, 03:58 PM

Alexis weighed 16 lbs 10 ounces when we went to the dr. last which was about three weeks ago and I go to the dr. with her thurs. for her 4 month check up and I bet she weighs 18 lbs. or more. She is not exactly fat just long and a little cubby. No one says anything to me rude. But I have heard that she is bigger than other babies her age a lot but big deal I say...at least you know she is healthy...and she is. The dr's said she is in the 95 percentale of babies her age. Don't worry about what anyone says. I am sure all of you guys have beautiful or handsome babies!! I think mine is beautiful!!
Diana
#35 of 45 Old 02-26-2001, 04:03 PM

Haley went today for her 9 month checkup! Haley had to go today to the doctor and I am so proud of her she had her finger pricked and two shots in her legs today! She took it and she only cried for a little while! She now weighs 16lbs 11oz. and is 27 inches long! I am so proud of her she doesn't have to go back till after she turns one and she turns one in May!
#36 of 45 Old 02-28-2001, 11:50 AM

Just wanted to comment to Spaggie...

I totally agree with you...all kids have their own growth patterns, and as long as they stay on track, it shouldn't be worrysome. One thing though...you mentioned your son was drinking 64 ounces of formula a day. Nowadays, most doctors will tell you that that is far too much liquid for a baby to be drinking each day, regardless of his/her size. I can't remember the exact reason that 3 different peds told me this (Cameron was up to 50 ounces a day and that's when I got the lecture) but besides their stomachs not physically being able to hold that much liquid, there were numerous reasons why I was told to find other things to feed him, and to hold him off on drinking so much. I was just stunned to see you say your DS had 8 8 ounce bottles a day...granted, he sounds adorable and healthy now (as I am sure he was then) but now they advise you NOT to feed your baby that much formula. Has anyone else been told this?

Hugs~Carolyn
#37 of 45 Old 02-28-2001, 04:05 PM
Special Member

The doctor got on me for Cody drinking over 32 ounces per day. I was told to substitute a bottle of water for one of the formula bottles. Wow!
#38 of 45 Old 02-28-2001, 05:08 PM

I was figuring up my formula I make and Alexis drinks exactly 32 ounces a day...and maybe 4 ex. for a snack...
#39 of 45 Old 02-28-2001, 06:23 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Devon is as tall and as big as a 4 year old and I get the same reaction all the time. Only worse because my DH's family always says how chubby he is when he is clearly not fat. He doesn't even look chubby. They think he has to be stick thin like them. They make smart remarks right in front of Devon and it makes me so mad!! I have literally had to tell them off to protect Devons feelings. I don't want him to grow up with a complex about hisself. In turn this upsets my husband because he want's us all to get along. I have decided not to take it anymore and Devon doesn't deserve that kind of treatment from his own family. Sorry ladies, I'm getting carried away, it just makes me so mad!!
#40 of 45 Old 03-02-2001, 12:55 AM

They probably just think that he is big for his age. My nephew was and still is. When he was born he looked like a sumo baby. He was only 1 and wearing a size 3T. He has grown out of the "fat" baby stage that he went through. When your son starts walking he will fill out. My oldest dd was like that. She was a small baby when she was born. By age 1 she looked like the Michelin baby. When she started walking and crawling her being so active made her fill out. She was not fat by any means. Some baby's just have a little baby fat that they grow out of. My baby is only 5 months old and weighs 15 lbs. Of course she was born 9.1 . She has the fat rolls on her arms and leg and the double chin. But she is not obese by any means. She will also grow out of it, once she becomes more active. Don't let peoples comments get to you.
#41 of 45 Old 03-02-2001, 10:57 AM

Found out yesterday that my little four month old baby is in the top 95% of both weight and length....18 lbs. and 8 ounces, and 27 inches long.
#42 of 45 Old 03-02-2001, 11:14 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 10
Awww.. Tough to watch them grow so fast huh?

Austin had a WIC appointment on Tuesday and he weighed 23.7 pounds and was 28.5 inches long. All the ladies were like "Wow! He's a big boy" He was the biggest baby there that day! LOL
He too is in the 95% in weight.. but only in the 75% in height so he's a little short chubby kid! LOL

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#43 of 45 Old 03-02-2001, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to add my 2 cents into this. I agree in that I don't think most people are trying to be rude. I noticed that the world has been a much friendlier place since I've had babies. I like that people talk to me in stores. (I don't want them touching my children though!!) I guess it's because I quit working when my ds was born almost 3 years ago and I get lonely for adult conversation. Anyway, I think a lot of times it's just something to say.

I have the complete opposite problem with my dd now. She had her 12 month checkup and weighs only 17 lbs 7 oz! That is the 5th percentile! She is 28" long. My family tells me that she is just going to be petite. (I am 5'3" and my husband is 5'7". His sisters and mother are all shorter than me.) I still worry though. Even the doctor said she was fine, but it drives me crazy that she is so small. At this rate, I won't be able to turn her car seat around until she is 18 months old!!
#44 of 45 Old 03-04-2001, 02:13 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Clover9990:

I understand what you are saying. When Drew was 3 months was when the Dr. told me to put him on solids. He started eating 3 "meals" a day and snacks, plus 4 bottles. None of my baby books (and I think I read them all!) said anything about the amount he was eating everyday and I didn't know any better. All I knew (or thought I knew) was that the baby should be about 6 months old before you started solids.

He has always been a big eater from the day he was born. Even now he eats continuously. He's 6 1/2 and only weighs 46.5 pounds and is 47 inches tall, but he eats like he has been starved! His teacher even asked me to send more for him to eat at snack time because he would be so hungry that he would start eating his lunch! The doctor says he just has a very high metabolism -- wish I did! I guess it does run in the family. One of my nephews is 16, 6 ft. 4 1/2 inches tall and only weighs 175. That's really not much when you consider that I am 5' 7 and weigh 162!

You know, maybe him drinking that much would explain so many wet diapers. If I remember right, our diaper expenses went down not long after we started him on solids! LOL!

[Edited by Spaggie on 03-04-2001 at 12:16 PM]

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#45 of 45 Old 04-26-2001, 07:21 PM

Personally, I think the chubbier, the more adorable !! Really, my daughter is 11 months and weighs about 21 lbs. . . I know that's not too much . . . but my man always calls her Chunkmins or chunky butt . . . in a loving playful way. She actually gets mad and will throw her arms up in the air if she sees that you have food and aren't sharing with her LOL It's so cute!! Don't worry ladies . . . I find it adorable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page