diaper rash already!! - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brodie is only a week old and he already has a bad case of diaper rash. He got it three days ago, and no matter what I do, its not getting any better, its getting worse. I tried Desitin, Desitin and baby powder together, and today I bought some of that "butt paste" stuff... it sure is pricey, I hope it works. His butt is so raw now it looks like its about to start bleeding. Anyone have any tips on how to clear it up? Ive been trying to let it air out without a diaper but that's hard to do on a week old baby boy.. as soon as the cold air hits him, he starts spraying pee everywhere, including on himself. I'm at a loss with what do about it.. Drevi has only had diaper rash once.. and a little Desitin was all it took. Oh and another thing.. when do I know its bad and I need to take him to the Dr.? What could be causing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 05:26 AM - Thead Starter

could it be the wipes? or the diapers? We've been using Huggies Newborn wipes and Pampers Swaddlers.. today I bought the Pampers Sensitive Touch.. just in case the Huggies wipes are bothering him. Im so stressed out by this...

Should I be bathing him more? less? soap? no soap?
#3 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 07:46 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
He might have a yeast infection which a trip to the doctor for some prescription cream would do the trick. Sounds like Brodie has very sensitive skin. you might have to try a couple of different things before you find the one that works for him.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#4 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Kaydence had a bad diaper rash when we swiched her to soy forumla and no matter what tried it wasnt getting better, any thing damp on her bottom seemed to make it worse, the best thing we used was corn starch, I would try to keep his bottom dry as possible Good luck
#5 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Special Member

Stop using wipes would be my suggestion...at least till it clears up. I had a similar problem with Jesse one time. What I did was take a roll of good paper towels(I like viva) tear them off one by one flold thm in half and put them in an empty wipes container. Then I made them wet with plain distilled water(I would only do a days worth at a time), I would wipe him off with a wet one and dab him dry with a dry one(You can also dry him with a blow dryer set on cool setting, just be careful).
It sounds like a yeast infection to me, in which case you will need to get a prescription from your dr......and have them check him for thrush too.....Jesse had thrush that the dr didn't detect(because there were no white spots,but I knew it was thrush ) then 2 weeks later he ended up with a diaper yeast rash. When I took him back to the DR he finally had 2 small white spots in his mouth. The dr said that it probably traveled through his system, and because babies immune system doesn't have the power to fight it that it is very common.(however if they had given me the prescript for thrush when I told them he had it he probably would never have gotten the rash ).
And the last thing is if all else fails ,switch diapers. My youngest two kids couldn't where pampers, they broke out every time I put one on them.
Good luck, I hope it clears up soon!!
#6 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Special Member

I would suggest stop using wipes since he sounds like he is so senstive. Creams and stuff wouldn't work on Elizabeth. I used vaslenine petrolum jelly...it worked best for us. Also, I kept her diaper off for a while during changing. With Brodie...when you take his diaper off and he pees...turn your heat up and just let him lay without his diaper on.

I hope it clears up soon!! I know it is stressful when it don't clear up, but don't stress too much since your BF because that might make your milk supply go down. Just a thought!
#7 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
Yeah I was going to suggest stop using the wipes for a couple of days. The cornstarch is a great thing to use.

Please be aware the if it's yeast that yeast thrives on moisture, the dryer the better.
#8 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
supervised naked tummy time on a wet pad, towel between changings could be a way to make sure he is nice and dry.. and the pee doesn't get away
#9 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 04:43 PM - Thead Starter

thanks you guys for the advice

it doesnt look like yeast.. no bumps or anything.. just two really red spots, one on each buttcheek. I think he does have sensitive skin. My husband found out from his mother that he got frequent diaper rash from having sensitive skin..
#10 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Special Member

I don't know if you have a Big Lots store close to you, but when I was there one day...I saw pampers diapers for diaper rash. Wal-mart might even have them. Just a thought
#11 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
I used A&D ointment on my girls. That worked better than anything else. There is also a creme called Dr Smiths (I think) that was great.
Maci ended up with a yeast infection (actually so did Hailey) and I did not think that it was yeast at all (not bumpy at all). She was literally bleeding in spots that were so raw. The ped prescribed some stuff and it cleared it right up.
#12 of 12 Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I hope it clears up!!!

and Congrats!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page