Not sleeping through the night - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter will be 3 in less than two months and still isn't sleeping through the night. She goes to sleep in her own bed without a fuss but wakes every night without fail and comes to my room. At first, I would take her back to her bed but it became such a fight that she would wake the other kids up and make herself sick screaming and crying, that eventually I allowed her to come to my bed.
Now here I am, with a preschooler almost and STILL not getting a full night of sleep.
Not to mention the fact that it is impossible to have my boyfriend over for the night.

Any suggestions??
I've let her scream it out but it causes Zach (who she shares a room with) to wake and get extremely upset over his sister's anxiety. Also, she can very easily get out of her own bed so it becomes a repetitive walk taking her back to her bed.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I don't know what the solution is. Emily did this, too, up until about two years ago, and now she almost never wants to sleep anywhere but her own bed. She sleeps through the night, now too. So, the only thing I can say is give it time.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Addicted Member

Wish I could help. Teagan hasn't slept through the night since he got those tubes in his ears. Every single night. Every night. Yeah..

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
I had this issue as well. I feel for you! My son was 4 almost 5 before I completely got him out of my bed. This is what I would do for her and did for Jimmy. Give her a new rule and explain that she has to follow the rules or things will be taken away. Enforce the fact that your only down the hall way. If she wakes up she's to sit up and yell for you, but no getting out of the bed. You can then go in and reenforce that fact that your down the hall way, tuck her back in a give her a kiss don't even turn on the light.

I did this too, during bedtime have her practice a few times. You tell her when I leave the room you sit up and yell for me. Then you go in a do the routine and tell her how safe shefeels...

This is the best I've got to give. In hopes that eventually she will understand that you're there if she needs you.
#5 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Likes Earned: 10
Is there someone you could let Zach stay with for a weekend maybe? That way you will be able to take your daughter back to her bed and let her cry it out w/o having to worry about waking Zach.

It does take a lot. I have not went though it (and I hope I don't have to) but I have watched the Nanny 911 shows that have had kids on there that have the sleeping issues that are solved within two or three nights. They have books out, and you can pull up shows on Youtube to see different techniques used.
#6 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Ally is 8 and still doesn't sleep thru thr night every night. Some kids don't. Although she normally stays in her room these days, I can't tell you the number of times I get up in the morning and find her on the couch. Her ped says some kids just don't and Ally is one of them. Good luck!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Addicted Member

Elaine, that is REALLY familiar!! Alyssa is 3 and still comes to our bed EVERY night. I put her back in her bed...she comes back...put her back...she comes back...I get sick of getting up and end up letting her sleep with us because it is just easier for me. I know I need to be consistent putting her back in her bed but I NEED SLEEP TOO!!

So, I feel your pain!
#8 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Ethan comes to our bed most night too.
#9 of 9 Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I honestly would no have no issue with her still coming to my bed at night (other than the bf thing) IF I were getting enough sleep. I'm not. I wake to every toss, turn, and sigh. On top of that, I wake up stiff and sore from trying to keep myself confined to one side of the bed.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page