Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2003, 05:05 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought There might be some Terrific Toddlers out there that might have Temper Tantrums, little something to deal with them. ~Jan

All About Temper Tantrums

7 Ways to Prevent a Tantrum
By Karen Horsch

Tips for keeping the situation rational and calm.

The dreaded temper tantrum usually arises at the most inopportune time for parents. The key is to be prepared. Here are seven ways to prevent your child from becoming out of sorts or overstimulated--the usual triggers for a tantrum.
1. Make sure your child is well-rested. Ensure this especially before a busy day or stressful activity.

2. Avoid long outings or visits without a break or food. Take along healthy snacks and drinks if mealtimes will be delayed.

3. Create a safe environment in your home. This will allow your child the freedom to explore and exercise some independence.

4. Minimize the "no" factor. Too many rules and too many "no's" will only cause a small child to become frustrated.

5. Let your child make decisions. For instance, if your child throws a fit at bath time, ask him which toy he'd like to play with in the tub or which book he'd like you to read afterward.

6. Establish consistent daily routines. Having a regular ritual in place can give your child a sense of control over what will happen next and increase your chances of gaining his cooperation.

7. Set the stage for new or unfamiliar experiences by telling your child what to expect. If you're going to visit a relative, for example, tell your child whom she will see and what will happen once she gets there. The more your child knows in advance, the less likely she'll be to have a meltdown.

Karen Horsch, a writer in Manchester, New Hampshire, is the mother of two young children.

Sources: Hyman C. Tolmas, MD, FAAP, clinical professor of pediatrics emeritus at the Tulane University Health Science Center, in New Orleans; Joseph F. Hagan, MD, FAAP, clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Vermont College of Medicine, in Burlington; Hyman C. Tolmas, MD, FAAP, clinical professor of pediatrics emeritus at the Tulane University Health Science Center, in New Orleans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
My son is the king of temper tantrums. He has a scream that can break glass. He lays on the floor arching his back and screaming and doesn't give in untill he gets what he wants or he cries himself to sleep.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 11:36 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Well I hope some of these ideas will help you, and others.

Trey is starting with the screaming and arching his back and he's only 10 months. I'm thinking I might be having problems.

#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Liz is the of temper tantrums...has at least 6 a day.....

Liz likes to plop her butt on the floor....and then flop back (we have all hard wood.....)--when she does this I make sure she is ok first...and then I turn my back on her and dont' acknowledge it....

Or she will smack her hands on the floor...which of course hurts when it is on hard wood...same thing I make sure she is ok and then turn my back.....

She does these when she can't have her way....or when it is nap time or bed time....ugggggg
#5 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Special Member

You know, we do all those things and Alexander STILL has temper tantrums!! He doesn't have them that often anymore and usually by just ignoring him he will stop, but when he was going through his little phase of having them constantly, nothing we did helped. He would go on for 30 minutes at times.

Sometimes, I think they just do it to do it and no matter what you say or do, they are not going to stop. I also think, at least for Alexander, that it was a way of winding down because his happened towards the end of the day. As adults we've learned how to do that in other ways, but for little kids, they don't yet know how to do away with the stress of the day. Just my opinion, though.
#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I think you are so right Lisa. Now that I think of it...Liz has more of hers in the evening...so I wonder if that is it for her too
#7 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Special Member

It just makes sense to me. I'm sure it also has something to do with them being tired, but I know there are days that I feel like crying when I get home because it's been such a hectic day -kids just do it.
#8 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 04:50 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Lisa, that must be his winding down time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page