#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2005, 01:44 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Parenting Question for Sports/Activities & your 4 year old

Ryan has been involved in Hockey since October. Practice is every weekend, Saturday and Sunday. He had a bad experience one time and hit his head, and got hurt even though he had a helmet on, which has since made him digress and skiddish - he now wont skate with his stick, only with the 'walker' ... all of the other kids are skating with their sticks playing in the games ...

but thats not really what my question is ... he is 4 years old... and some days he wakes up and says he doesn't want to go to Hockey practice that day (for example ... today). We ask him why, and sometimes we can get an answer (like I am tired since practice is so early) but sometimes he just doesnt want to, and sometimes he says 'I dont like hockey' ...

so here is my question ...

Would you - or do you, let your preschooler make the decision of not going to the activity? So far, since we dont want him to hate the sport because we force him to go - when he says he doesn't want to go - we arent forcing him... (plus he has already played like 20-30 times)

however, I am reluctant to let him quit all together for the rest of the season (he hasnt asked to quit this season, but in case it comes up) .......

Growing up, I quit every sport or dance class because I didnt want to work hard at it, and I regret that my parents let ME make those decisions, I wish they forced me into them ...

SO what do you think? Is what we are doing right? What should we do? Should we be giving into him not wanting to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
sorry he got hurt Dee

we will be in your shoes next year or soon anyhow. I dont know what the right answer is.. on one hand you need to teach him to follow through with something. but don't want to make him resent hockey.

does he have any friends on the team? to help him get out there with his stick only again?

good luck, i will be watching for my own use later i hope someone has some good advice
#3 of 6 Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
I make lyssa finish out the season (year) too. But she is in Dance and she LOVES it. Only once has she said she didn't want to go - I said ok you dont have to go and an hour later she was dressed and ready to go.

I dont think you should FORCE - but I do think that he needs to finish the season and try to go. Maybe take him to practice and if he doesnt want to practice have him just sit and watch. That way he is there even if he isnt participating.

#4 of 6 Old 12-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
" Practice is every weekend, Saturday and Sunday. "

That, to me, is toooooo much for a 4yo to do...I can fully understand why he doesn't want to go. No down time, KWIM?? Esp the Sunday practice! JMHO
#5 of 6 Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Thanks guys... I appreciate everyones opinions and thoughts!

and Liz - the season doesn't end until the end of March ....
#6 of 6 Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
i agree with Lisa that every weekend sat and sun is an awful lot of practice for a four year old

i hope you come up with some answers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in