How do you teach your child to use scissors? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to teach dd how to use scissors. She's not really getting it. Any tips?

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I put several pairs of childrens scissors into a box with old magazines, glue sticks and construction paper and has the kids create pictures by cutting out pictures and gluing them onto the construction paper. Worked great!!
#3 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Have you established whether or not she is right/left handed? I know it's not always apparent at that age but if you are using the wrong hand it could be why she isn't getting it.
Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you. Do you have a pair large enough that both of your fingers can go inside so you can do it together?

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Addicted Member

Elaine has a good point with the hand preference thing. Some scissors are made specifically for right handers or left handers. Some are made for either one.

When I was teaching we did a few of the following activities. The kids seemed to enjoy them, and they didn't realize that we were just trying to get them to cut.

Cutting out coupons (this is great for expired coupons or ones you’re not going to use, so it won’t matter if they get butchered-LOL! ) Plus, most have printed numbers, words, and pictures of the product so they can start making the connection between the product and and written name.

Cut the front labels off of cereal boxes, fast food bags, soup/vegetable can labels, etc. and make a collage or likes/dislikes.

Cutting up junk mail

Cutting out pictures from magazines, catalogs, etc. to make collages of things she likes. We did this a lot at Thanksgiving to talk about what we were thankful for, and also at Christmas as a Santa’s wishlist. You can do it as a classification exercise, too. Cut out items of clothing, things that are blue, animals, etc. I also did one where I used a paper plate and let them cut out pictures of foods that they liked and glues them on the paper plate.

Cutting out pictures from old greeting cards.

Draw a series of simple lines - straight, then zig-zag, then curvy and have her cut on those. After she’s mastered those, you can move on to cutting out shapes.

I have a list of websites with activities and worksheets for scissor skills. I'll try to find it and post it.
#5 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
She's using both hands to cut. I've tried to show her how to hold the scissors properly, but she doesn't seem to get it. Maybe it just takes practice.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#6 of 6 Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Special Member

I think mainly it just takes practice although Elaine has a good point about the left/right handed thing. Haley uses both hands so I'm not sure which she is.
I gave her a pair of safety scissors long ago and she used to cut so crazy. The paper would just fold up and she would get frustrated. I just let her work through it and she picked it up in no time at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in