What is your budget for school? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious to find out how much do y'all budget for back to school things. I underestimated how much I was going to spend on uniforms by $95, and that included a 10% discount! When I was figuring out how much I would spend, I did not figure in bloomers and tights. They need to have maroon tights, do y'all know how hard it is to find maroon tights in a regular store? Impossible! So anyway, even though they won't need the tights until November when it starts to get cool, I bought them now so I wouldn't have to worry about it later.
There is only one place to get uniforms for their school, so there is no bargin shopping. I have to buy a certain brand shoes and from my research, only one store in this area carries these shoes. I just called them and the shoes are $45 per pair, and I need two, so that's $90 + tax. I found them online for $5 less, but once you figure in shipping for two pairs, it's better to go to the store here and buy them. Also, I don't know what size they need in Bass shoes.
I have not even started on school supplies. I have the list, but half of the things on the list have to be bought from the school. I have no clue how much all of that is going to cost, I have to wait until they have the supply sale at school.

I am learning about all of this as I go along. I thought I had more than enough put aside for their uniforms, supplies, and fees, but now it looks as if I am going to spend more than I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I want to add that I hope my post isn't taking as me whining. Well, I guess I am whining to an extent, but Gary and I chose for for daughters to go to this school, so we don't have any right to whine. We knew what was expected before we even recieved their acceptance letters.
#3 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Due to money I am always waiting till the last minute to get clothes. Sam is in adult sizes now so no good deals there. Logan is still in a 4t so he isnt as bad. Our school district is pretty good about supplies and untill middle school it doesnt send you to the poor house. This is your first year so you are in sticker shock still

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contest and a $25 GC!

#4 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 04:24 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

That is exactly what it is, Becky. Sticker shock...
We have the money, I just didn't expect to have to spend as much...
#5 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Yep next year you will be ready and know what to expect. . I know Sam needs some fancy calculater next year thats over $100 I am gonna die having to buy that!!

Becky
Wayne since 8/07~ almost a year! Who would have thought I would ever find my prince?

Samantha 4/19/95
Logan 10/9/01 Kia 9/10/98 Colby 3/28/01 I am a Motorcross Momma!!Enter to win BabyUniversity's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contest and a $25 GC!
#6 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Hmm.. Bad me, I don't budget for it at all, really. Olivia is in montessori, they charge $100 supply fee at the beginning of the year, so I just write a check. The boys' lists are long, but not too bad, I probably spend another $100 on the 2 of them, maybe a little less.... as far as school clothes, we don't have any uniforms and I shop too much. I buy throughout the year though, I really don't do "back to school" clothes shopping yet (they're too young to care). The only thing we do is new tennis shoes.
#7 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Alyssa's fees are already paid. She goes to private school but there are no uniforms (yet) Her list for school is short normally no more than $50 in supplies (depending on the cost of gym shoes) So then it's just school clothes. We just need to go through her clothes and see. Last year I didn't spend too much cause she had so much that still fit her. I know we need to get some tops this year for sure.
#8 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Dana, We also have a supply fee so they can buy in bulk, saving everyone money and a headache. We don't have pencils, crayons, or anything like that on our supply list, just the things that need to be purchased at the school during the supply sale (A school folder and something else that I can;t remember right now.) and telling us that they need a school bag, an extra set of clothes to be kept in a ziplock bag in their backpack. I was surprised that I didn't have to buy traditional school supplies. I think I need to bring baby wipes, but those are not for the class, they are just for your child.
I did notice that the older they get, the longer the lists and the more expensive the items are.

Liz, I thought I would come out better buying uniforms, too. I guess I did, but since I bought everything for the whole year, it was a shock. If I would have just bought Summer / Fall things and bought Winter things later, then I probably wouldn't have noticed how much I was spending.
Since it is a Catholic private school, even their jackets and coats have to be uniform. If I wouldn't have bought them uniform sweaters, then they would not be able to wear it in the classroom. I don't want them to be cold because I was too cheap to spend the money.
There are a couple of choices, and I didn't have to buy everything, I chose to.
Remember that I am buying for Twins. It sounds like a lot, but it's not.
I bought them 2 school cardigan sweaters, 4 sweatshirts that they can wear over their uniform during winter months, 2 winter coats with the school emblem on it, 4 jumpers, 8 shirts (because they are pure WHITE, my kids are going to stain those pretty quickly) 4 pairs of tights, and 4 pairs of bloomers. I haven't bought the shoes or socks, yet.
#9 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Buying for the whole year for twins - that doesn't seem bad at all. Just an upfront chunk of $$. (which I think once you get used too won't be a huge deal) I like the idea of a supplies fee. Nothing like buying pens and stuff all year (not that the little ones use pens) I didn't realize that you had specific jackets and stuff too. WOW. I know Lys's school is looking at uniforms cause of the older grades and how they dress. I am all for uniforms - makes it sooooo much easier to decide what to wear and would save me a battle every morning.
#10 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Well, I homeschool, so I try to keep book purchases under $200, and I just buy supplies as I need them . I buy the kids clothes whenever I need to.
#11 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Public school would definatly be cheaper, but it is worth every penny that we have spent.
#12 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Oh, I forgot to say that my Mom bought every hair acessory that they had in their school's plaid. The store seamstresses make acessories for the girls with the same material that they make the uniforms with. They are very cute, and my Mom wanted to help so she said that she would buy them.
#13 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
I think in the past I have spent about $40 on supplies (to include backpacks and such). Around $40 on shoes, and about $50 on clothes. But... that was stateside where I could get Tessa's clothes at the thrift shops.
Being here... I expect to spend a lot more than that. The cheapest jeans the PX carries for girls are $27. So if she needs new jeans, thats gonna be $100 right there.
I don't really plan to do a lot of back to school shopping this year, unless she outgrows her clothes this summer. She has plenty of clothes, that did still fit when i packed them up. So she will get two new outfits for school and that's it for now.
hugs... I had sticker shock last year, buying my neice's school supplies and Tessa's at once. They hadn't needed much in kindergarten so last year was a surprise for me. $40 for Tess, and my Neice's supplies cost $60 (she was 11)
#14 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

$27 for the cheapest jeans? :shock:
I buy the girls' jeans from Target and spend only $15. That's for the ones with the adjustable waist, so they cost a few dollars more than the regular ones.

The supplies that I have to get won't cost much. Well, I don't think they will cost much, probably not $40 for a backpack, baby wipes, tissue, and a roll of paper towels. The only thing that I'm not too sure on the cost is the backpack. I bought the girls an Elmo backpack a while back, but I don't remember how much it cost. The backpack doesn't have to be much, just big enough to hold a folder and a change of clothes.
#15 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hey Heather, could I buy jeans for her at Target or WalMart and send them to you? I wonder how much it would cost for shipping...
#16 of 21 Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really have a budget. I'm just going to hit the sales all summer for clothes(no uniforms here, although I wouldn't mind it). The outlets always have good deals. I have the school supply lists for the 3 older boys, and I'll just buy that slowly all summer to. Doesn't look like it will be more than a $100.
#17 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
I can't believe they make you buy a COAT w/ the emblem on it - that seems a bit extreme to me - not doubting you or dissing the school - but......!
#18 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Addicted Member

Since we have no uniforms here any longer I get a mixed lot on e-bay for Brittany. Trey gets designer hand me downs from my Aunt who has boys.

I think I will have to get a few things for Brittany.
#19 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Addicted Member

Oh and by the way you will love uniforms. You might spend a load to get the girls started but you will make out in the long run.
#20 of 21 Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

They didn't say that they had to have the coat, it's optional. I wanted to get it because they can wear it in the building if they are cold. If it is not part of the uniform, they can not wear it inside of the classroom.
It's not really a coat, probably not like you are thinking. I am in the deep South, it doesn't get really cold here. To us a coat is anything heavier than a jacket. It has a warm fleece lining, so to me it is a coat.
#21 of 21 Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Exactly, Liz.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page