User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soda was never allowed in the house when I was growing up... our "soda" consisted of cranberry juice mixed with sparkling water It wasn't until probably middle school that I was allowed a glass of soda as a treat when we would go out for dinner.

Most ppl know that it has no nutritional value and that its bad for their teeth but some parents allow their kids to drink it... what's your take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 10
That was a staple food in my diet growing up. My children are not allowed to have unlessed approved. I do keep it in the house but rarely drink soda at home. I use it for my lunches for work. The drink of choice is ice tea better but not much!
#3 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Probably no soda. It may end up being like how your parents were just here and there.

Hubby and I have been off of soda for about two months, excet for here and there and it isn't much at all.

#4 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 1
I don't like soda so Jerren will probably won't have soda unless it is a special occasion.
#5 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
We don't keep soda in the house but I do allow it at restaurants and my oldest does but it on her own on ocasion. I'm not necessarily anti-soda but I'm not going to waste my money on it when it doesn't seem like much more than liquid candy.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#6 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We don't have soda around often (only if I find a great sale). The rule here for DS is no caffeinated soda (no Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.), and only one soda a day.

I drink a lot of flavored seltzer, though, and he can drink that if he wants. It's got no sugar, and no "fake sugar" - just bubbles. I've been known to mix it with fruit juice once in a while, too.
#7 of 18 Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
I sometimes buy it as a treat on the weekends but otherwise we don't keep it in the house. They rarely have it at restraunts either cuz it's expensive! Zachary and Bailey like to buy it with their own money from the gas station up the street at times though.
#8 of 18 Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Same here, Krista.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#9 of 18 Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Funny this coming up now, rick and I were just talking about this yesterday

My kids were allowed non caffienated sodas when we were having dinner out (which happened very rarely - we were too broke).

Rick was saying he didn't get to drink coke until he was 13 but none of my kids drink coke now even tho they are well and truely old enough.

they also didn't get salt, pepper or any kind of sauce until they were 3, I home cooked all of their meals without adding salt or sugar for that matter (as on cereal etc). Even now they very rarely use salt & pepper or sauce (unless they are having noodles, pasta or won tons then look out soya sauce LOL)
#10 of 18 Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 AM

Likes Earned: 22
We always have soda in the house, but only the DP is kept int he fridge where the kids could get to it. The rest is locked away in my closet. Drew hates DP, but loves coke (hence the reason it is locked away). Ally would just as soon have kool-aid or iced tea. Mostly she prefers water. When they get one, we do have rules. None on school days - period (Drew is ADD and Ally is ADHD - both severe cases). On weekends, they are allowed to have ONE and it must be before 3pm so it has time to clear their system before bedtime. If they haven't had one during the day, they are allowed to have NON-CAFFENATED soda if we go out. It's the caffeine I have to worry about.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#11 of 18 Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Aaron tried soda as a little guy and hated it so we kind of stuck to that. I haven't drank soda regularly for 8 years so we don't keep it in the house. My husband, on the other hand, is a sodaholic and he drinks it when we go out but it hasn't swayed Aaron into being a soda drinker yet. If he wants to drink it as an older child, I would probably say only when we go out to eat but definitely not at home. I'm hoping he'll just be happy with water, lemonade and juice.
#12 of 18 Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 AM

no way..i seen mothetrs give kids as young as one and two s0da...
#13 of 18 Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 AM

I drink diet coke or diet dr. pepper, and so does Kyle. MIL drinks Coke or Pepsi often. I do allow Emily to have soda, mostly caffiene-free coke at home, but only occasionally, and if we are out to eat, she can have regular coke or tea if it's not too late in the evening--before 6:00, or she can just drink sprite. She really prefers chocolate milk or lemonade most of the time. If she asks for anything, it's usually apple juice. We don't make a big deal out of soda, and Emily is really fine drinking whatever we give her. Travis has had a sip here or there, but he prefers juice, which we dilute.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#14 of 18 Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM

I don't drink any soda any my husdband drink regular soda, usually Coke or Mountain Dew. Zachariah dislikes soda and doesn't drink it at all and always orders water, milk or juice, sometimes a milkshake or lemonade. Noah, on the other hand has inherited his dad's taste for soda. When he was really small he would ask for "sodie in my mouth". He'd get a sip b/c like Liz we'd hope he'd out grow it but nope, he still like it. He orders milk and juice in restauants too but occasionally he'll ask if he can have a soda. We let him. It's not like it's everyday.
#15 of 18 Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM

In my household, we drink mostly kool-aid, juices, milk, or water, but if we do have soda, I usually split a can between them. I don't give them a whole one because it is too much sugar and caffeine.
#16 of 18 Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM - Thead Starter

Seems like most of us are on the same page about soda drinking... I think it's all about moderation and not forbidding it bc that will just lead them to want what they can't have! I actually went through a "soda Phase" in high school but now I really don't even enjoy the taste and rarely drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeacon View Post
I'm hoping he'll just be happy with water, lemonade and juice.
^^ That is the hope but even juices and lemonades are highly acidic and can damage their teeth by weakening their enamel... I think the best thing is just to be proactive about protecting their teeth and taking the extra steps to prevent erosion/decay.

Some good ideas to keep in mind...

Drinking any type of acidic drink through a straw helps to decrease direct and prolonged contact with their teeth!!

Also drinking water after anything acidic helps... and NEVER brush immediately after acidic foods/drinks bc that's when enamel is weakest and you can actually cause more damage... a good rule of thumb is to wait about an hour before brushing.

Also, anyone hear about the new kid's toothpaste, ProNamel For Children from Sensodyne? They actually developed it with dentists to re-strengthen tooth enamel to help protect their teeth from the acidity in their diets.

Anyone have any other tips on how you help protect you LO's teeth?
#17 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Thank God! my son hates soda, he doesn't like any carbonated drinks as well.
#18 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
My kids LOVE pop and if they had the choice would drink nothing but ... so I just don't keep it in the house.
It's one of the things that Chad and I are going to have to figure out because his girls (3 & 15) really do drink very little other than Mt. Dew.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page