Still using diapers - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-21-2004, 05:41 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is going to be 4 this May and he still uses diapers at night. He is great during the day...he rarely has an accident but he is always soaking wet in the morning and so I keep him in the diapers at night.

I dunno if I am helping the problem or what. He has a doctors appointment next month and I guess...I was just wondering if any of you had some experience with night potty trainning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
i don't have experience, but i used to babysit a boy in grade one that was still in pull ups at night time..... think it can be a boy thing sometimes... but i am not sure... good luck with the doctor
#3 of 13 Old 01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think Devon was night trained until just after 4 yrs old(can't remember for sure). I just stopped putting him in diapers at night, and we faced whatever happened. He did well much to my suprise, but still had some accidents for a couple of weeks maybe.

Do you use a reward when he wakes up dry(sticker chart)? Special uderwear(favorite cartoon character, etc)?

my advice it to encourage him any way you can, and try not to pressure him to much. Good Luck.

#4 of 13 Old 01-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who has a 6 year old that is still in pull-ups at night. He is such a hard sleeper that he never wakes up. I was also told that it is a boy thing.
#5 of 13 Old 01-22-2004, 06:34 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks for all of your advice. I think that I am going to try your suggestions Tara. I will wait until he is 4...only a couple more months and hopefully he will be ready. Funny thing...He potty trained so easily. I didn't have to do all the stickers and rewards. I guess I will try it now.
#6 of 13 Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Special Member

When i trained my kiddo, would wake her up every two to three hours to go and pretty soon she got used to holding it untill it was time to wake up and go, but she is a girl, i dunno if boys are different. She had a very little accidents once she got used to it. Good luck
#7 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Special Member

One of my brothers was such a deep sleeper that he didn't wake up when he needed to go. It was really embarassing and hard for him because he really felt ashamed of himself, but it really wasn't his fault. He was at least eight years old before he outgrew it. I hope your doctor has some advice for you.

Have you tried not letting him drink anything a few hours before bedtime?
#8 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 11:50 AM - Thead Starter

I have limited his liquids after dinner to just a little milk or water and I always make him use the bathroom before bed. My brother was a bed wetter too. He was told that his bladder just didn't develop as fast as the rest of his body. I dunno.
#9 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Addicted Member

It is not just a boy thing. Lots of kids are prone to this. I personally was in my teens before I got over it

Something you have to work at and when they get it they get it. Some bladders do not develop as fast as the rest of their body. Still talk to the doctor it is flustrating, but it is for the child also.
#10 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Special Member

With Jake, he wore the pull-ups to bed for a long time after he was potty trained. One night I accidently forgot to put one on for bed and he woke up dry. To make a long story short, with him it was the pull up...if he had one on he would just go in it, if it wasn't on he got up and went potty. We put a plastic matress cover on his bed and tossed the pull-ups. We had a couple accidents and still do occasionally(although now they usually happen because he just can't wake up enough to pull his pants down fast enough when he gets to the potty).
I agree with Tara, try leaving the diaper off, if he wakes up dry...REWARD!!! If he wakes up wet, clean it but don't make a big deal out of it, kids usually feel bad enough when it happens. Waking him up to potty once or twice for a little while is a good idea too, my DH did that before he went to bed(Jake had usually been asleep for a couple of hours by then).

Good luck!!!
#11 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Have you tried pullups instead?
Try limiting his fluids to nothing after 4 or 5pm and see if that helps too
#12 of 13 Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I hope the reward system works out!
#13 of 13 Old 01-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Addicted Member

Is he waking up dry? Gavin was tough to train and I finally gave up and he did it on his own. He was not potty trained all the way day and night until he was 4 years and 3 months and he still has the occasional accident. One night he fell asleep and I did not put a pull-up on him and he woke up dry..he has not worn them since. I would not worry about it because eventually he will do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page