Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been faced with this decision yet (as Haley is only 14) but Chad's oldest daughter (17) has recently said that she would like to get a job. 

It's got me wondering how I would handle Haley's request to work when it's her turn.  I think I'd be okay with it as long as it doens't interfer with school and as long as transportation wasn't an issue.  I may not be entirely enthusiastic about having to transport her but if it didn't make me have to adjust my sched. too much, I'd be okay with it.  There are a lot of places within walking distance of our apartment though ... the grocery store, all the fast food places in town (all two), and a small strip of stores are all less than a block from here.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 0

I think when the time comes, I would be ok with it as long as their grades are not affected. If their grades start to go down then I would tell them that they would have to let the job go

#3 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29

I feel the same way. While I wouldn't want them to have so conflicting their school work, I understand how important it is at that age to have money and independent. Luckily we have a lot of businesses within walking distance as well.

#4 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15

I plan on encouraging the girls to either get a little part time something or babysit on a regular basis when they are of age to work.  This is of course assuming that they are doing okay in school.  I think if they can earn some income of their own it helps them grow up.  Of course, I guess I might feel that way since I had to get a job when I turned 15.  We will see when the time comes... Thankfully I have a LONG time to wait

#5 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1

once Logan is old enough i definately will encourage him to get a job.  i think it is very important for kids to learn responsibilty and to earn their own money.

#6 of 11 Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Drew just started his first job.  Steak N Shake has recently begun opening stores in our area, and one is due to open this week just a few blocks away.  I do have to drive him to and from since it is on the other side of the freeway.  As far as his grade go, well he is already failing biology and barely passing English.  Right now, I am ready to let him quit and go get his GED.  He just doesn't like school and refuses to even try.  If it doesn't get done during the school day, forget it.  Considering all the trouble he has had with teachers and administrators (just a few in particular, not all of them), I understand why he doesn't like it.  So we decided to let him get a job hoping that it will help teach him a bit more responsibility.  We'll see what happens.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 11 Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 15

You could give him a GED study book for Christmas :)  Some kids.. Just don't do well in school, and given all the problems he has had at school I don't blame him for not wanting to be there.  Hugs Hope the Job is a good thing for him :)

#8 of 11 Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Likes Earned: 11

I would feel a little less excited about it too Elaine.That would give them a chance to grow though. so I might just have to sit on the fence for now.

#9 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM

I had a job when I was 16, spring semester of my junior year.  But I never had problems at school, so that wasn't an issue.  With Drew, he has actually managed to bring both his English and Biology grades up a bit.  If he can do well on his finals next week, he will pass both,  Not with great grades, but enough to move into the second semester.  Keep your fingers crossed!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#10 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 AM

Likes Earned: 0

When a person goes to the teen age,

there should be some changes must here,
and the friends are the big bless of a person........

#11 of 11 Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Likes Earned: 10

Just look at the jobs advertisements and find something appropriate for your kids. Something that will be convenient for you and for them. You have to be happy about this that your children want to help you financially and became responsible young people :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page