An easy savings challenge? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was talking to a friend who said that she paid for Christmas entirely using change that she saved over the course of the year.
I normally don't bother with change (other than quarters which I save for laundry) and will let my kids play with it, or just leave it lying around wherever.

Does anyone want to start a savings challenge with their loose change? Pick a designated spot (a coffee can, jar, or any place you choose) and each night deposit the change you collected over the day. The goal can be whatever amount you choose and can be used for whatever you decide... Spending money for summer vacation, Christmas money, or even just emergency funds.
We'll check in here once a month or so and see how everyone is doing (WITHOUT counting the money, because knowing makes spending too tempting!).

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0
I can try - I don't often carry cash. (I've gotten in the habit of just using my debit card)

But I think this would be good to start using more cash and less plastic.

Now I just need to fins a spot that the girls won't look (They take money from my piggy and put it into theres. )
#3 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

I was using plastic too but got into the bad habit of not keeping up with how much money I was spending. I've given myself a weekly budget (for cigs, drinks, lunches, etc.) and carry it in cash now. When it's gone, it's gone.

Elaine White

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
Works for me... I have a nice jar in the middle of the table that has been collecting my change since Jim left. I managed to save $400 when he was in Kosovo (6 month deployment) by not spending any change. This time I'm saving up for our vacation to Spain when he gets home...
#5 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Elaine White

#6 of 8 Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
I already keep all of my loose change in an old mayo jar. Once a week, I empty out my change purse (leaving 2 of each coin) Ally likes to count the change before we put it in the jar. I've never managed to save more than $40 or $50 at a time since I use it for emergencies (groceries, lunch money, gas, etc) between paydays. But it's nice to know it's there when we really need it!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 1
I have tons of change all around the house, usually we keep it in a box but I forget to put it in there.

When i got my own place my parents gave me their penny jar ( a 5 gallon water bottle) I was like ok what can I get with a dang jar full of pennies... well it was 200 bucks worth of pennies! I planned on keeping pennies until Jerren is 16 and letting him cash them in then.
#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I have a can of change I have been collecting. Once it gets full I get it changed into cash. I know I have extra change in my purse to transfer over to the can. It is on my to do list (maybe this weekend). I probably need to find something bigger to switch it to and build it up over a year to see how much I save.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page