Old Testiment names - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 03:08 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you like Old Testiment names? Which ones do you like and which ones don't you like?

Since I am a writer (some of the time anyway), I'm always on the market for character names. So I have a lot of names I like for characters, but wouldn't necessarily name my child. KWIM?

Here's the Old Testiment names I like -

David
Joseph (Joe)
Leah
Rachel
Sarah
Ruth
Deborah
Judith

That's about it.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 AM - Thead Starter

There's also Sharon and Rose (rose of sharon). I'm not a big Ester fan.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I like all of those, especially Leah.
I also like these:
Aaron
Abigail
Adah
Adam
Caleb
Elijah (one that I like for a character, not for my kid)
Jacob
Jesse
Jonathan
Nathan
Rebekah
Samuel

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06

#4 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I like Asher

and Aaron, Elijah, Adam, Eve, Rachel, and Abigail too.

I could do without Hepzi-Bah or however you spelled her name though.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#5 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Likes Earned: 10
Awe.. C'Mon Elaine!

Any well rounded child could carry the name Hepzi-Bah!

I like the 'traditional' names as well!

~Robyn~
~Mommy to~
Austin & Dylan

Remember, You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing..
#6 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 AM - Thead Starter

The other day, we were at that center of American culture, McDonalds, when we heard a ton of Old Testiment names and not the pretty ones - more like the Hepz-bah type. I did name a character Elijah! David is a great name. It's a common name in my and my dh's family (he has a brother named David), but Davids have always been crappy to me, so I would never name my kid that. Saul is nice too.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#7 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator

I had a really crappy step-father named David so that one is out for me too even though it isn't a bad name.

Elaine White

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#8 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 11:43 AM - Thead Starter

They're okay, but I can't imagine naming my child Zebidiah (?) or Mortichi (?). These kids were Mallichi and Mortichi and stuff like that. The best of the bunch was Issac and Issiah.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#9 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM - Thead Starter

BTW, I did name a character (a main character even) Mallichi. It's a period novel and they used a lot of Old Testiment names back in the 19th Century.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#10 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Children of the corn

Elaine White

#11 of 15 Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM - Thead Starter

It was more like Stefford Wives. The mothers were these women who would look perfect even in a hurricane and who are way too into the baby talking to almost school aged children.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#12 of 15 Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM

Those stepford wives really make me wanna

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#13 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Generally speaking I am not a fan of most Bibical names, but here are the few exceptions to the rules:

Delilah
Noa-I aboslutely love this; there was a woman in the Bible named this
Naomi
Ruth

Asher
Gideon
#14 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace
They're okay, but I can't imagine naming my child Zebidiah (?) or Mortichi (?). These kids were Mallichi and Mortichi and stuff like that. The best of the bunch was Issac and Issiah.
So would you add my son's name to that "bunch"--Zachariah?? Just kidding. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. FYI--Variations include Old Testament prophet (Zechariah) and in the New Testament John the Baptist's father among others. Anyway, Zebadiah (OT spelling) was on my baby names list. I guess it's not too popular. Dh actually chose our son's name and we love it! My taste does tend to run to Biblical names however. I know some people think we were crazy for naming him that--we got several rude comments. Oh well.

We didn't tell anyone Zachariah's name until he was born and we told for the first time in the operating room. My mom was worried b/c all we would say was it was Biblical. Anyway, she was concerned b/c we had been studying Nebucanezzer in Sunday School--she actually thought we might name him that!!!

There is a Malachi at Zachariah's daycare. I always think Children of the Corn like Elaine said although I do like it. Zachariah has quite a few Jewish children in his class so there are lots of OT names. Zachariah fits right in! Especially since our last name it Weber. He could be mistaken for a little Rabbi!

My list for this baby includes...
Elijah or Alijah (both spellings are in the OT)
Benjamin
Noah
Zion
Aaron
Ezekial (I can hear you all moaning over that one )

And for girls although I doubt we'll need them...
Hannah
Rebekah
Noa or Noah

and my only non Biblical choice...Eleanor.

Come on, I can take it....What do you all think? Too out there? But do they fit in with our son's name? Also my name (Abigail) and Dh's (Michael) are Biblical in origin.
#15 of 15 Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 AM

I like some biblical names. One of the boy names I like my mom HATES though. I've decided to not share any more names with her or anyone else after that.

I'm with you Abby don't tell anyone what you've picked til the baby gets here. Deal with it
Oh and Abby I like Zachariah. For a boy I like Elijah and Noah. And I love Rebekah especially the Biblical spelling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page