How did you pick out your childs/childrens name/names? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 02:35 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did you pick out your childs/childrens name/names?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dairen was from a Sci-Fi show called The Invisible Man
Jonas was from a Sci-Fi show called Stargate
Leah was from the Bible
#3 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kirstie .. from HellRaiser (should have known) Raie from a friend that was in the Gulf

Chase picked out his own name

Maximus (Gladiator) Kale (Titan AE)

#4 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Dh picked out Caitlyn. I wanted a form of Katerine, but not Katerine. Susanne is for my MIL. It has an s instead of a z, because I don't like the letter z. An illogical reason, I know, but she's my kid and she'll go through life without unnecessary z writing.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#5 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 AM

On the annual Girls Trip to the Beach, we were tossing around names on the way to dinner. I said that I liked Emily a lot, so we started thinking of middle names to go with it. My friend Kem suggested Kate, and I liked it. Immediately after that conversation, we got out of the car, went into the restaurant and were seated. Our waitress came up and said, "Hi, my name is Emily blah blah blah." All FIVE of us said in unison, "What's your middle name?" NO JOKE: KATE. I took that as a sign. Came home from the beach and told DH we had our girl name!

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#6 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanna
Kirstie .. from HellRaiser (should have known) Raie from a friend that was in the Gulf

Chase picked out his own name

Maximus (Gladiator) Kale (Titan AE)
You should have known!
How did Chase do that?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#7 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Special Member

Chase was born Carl Jr .. when the adoption went through he was 7 ... actually his 7th birthday and he picked out Chase Justice
#8 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Special Member

When I was in labor, a nurse asked what we were going to name a boy. Dan said "It's between Tyler and (OMG _ I can't remember the other name!! I have it written somewhere)" anyways... The nurse said "Oh Kyler, that's a nice name."
Dan and I looked at each other and said "Hey - that works."
#9 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanna
Chase was born Carl Jr .. when the adoption went through he was 7 ... actually his 7th birthday and he picked out Chase Justice
Rox, that is so cool!

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#10 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Special Member

He was 7 and it sounded like a crime fighter name to him ... and it was his birthday, so we let him pick!!
#11 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Special Member

Their first names are names I liked. DD's middle name is the same as DH and my grandma, just spelled differently. William's middle name is my maiden name, and Henry's middle name is my dad's name.
#12 of 23 Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
I sat and looked through a baby book with Lyssa. and made a list and we had it down to Alisha & Alyssa and I just liked Alyssa better. Kev wanted ANN for a middle name and i wanted something more unique and I saw Lauren on someone's siggie here at the time - too some persuading but i got my way

Kaitlyn - I picked out 5 combo names I had seen on here that I really liked and tossed them out at Kev. (Since I really wanted Payton and he said no) We really wanted Elizabeth Grace but we both agree not to use Elizabeth cause of how we shorten Alyssa's name to Lyssa and Elizabeth we would shorten to LIZ - too confusing.
#13 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Member

DH chose it. I have no idea where he got it from.
#14 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM

Kathryn was the ONLY name dh and I agreed on. I wanted a name like Katie for the younger years but something she could also use on a business card someday...you know like Dr. Kathryn xxx. I always knew I'd use my middle name (Lee) after my grandma. We decided to use the Chinese spelling. Li combined with her given middle name in China (Yu) means "beautiful jade".
#15 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Special Member

we have a couple of names we like for the first child.
Most of them are from Fantasy novels, Dragonlance series and one by Piers Anthony. One for a boy and one for a girl. We're geeks, we know, and it's ok.
#16 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Special Member

For Brianna, I was having a hard time getting Jason to like any of the names I had picked for a girl (he was so convinced she was a boy) but I went to a few sites online and picked 6 names for girls I liked. When I showed them to him he said he really liked Brianna and as for her middle name Elizabeth I just thought it flowed well.

For Kaitlyn, when I was PG with the twins (and once we knew the sexes), we were having a hard time coming up with another girls name that we both liked. We went to a fundraiser friends of ours were having for a little girl named Kaitlyn who had a rare form of leukemia. We liked it so we decided to use it. As for her middle name it is also my middle name, my Mom's middle name, my Grandma's middle name, and my Great-Grandma's middle name (tradition).

For Anthony, Jason has always wanted the name to be Anthony Jason. DH's name is Jason Anthony so it is just his names reversed.
#17 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

DH wanted a Hebrew name since he's Jewish. We really liked the name Isaiah. His middle name(Elliot) is another form of Elijah(my husband's name).
#18 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Jason picked the first name for the first and I picked the middle name, He picked Jake cuz he liked the name (I think he was naming him after his long gone dog ) I choose Charles after my father that had just pasted away 4 months earlier, so Jake Charles it was.

I got to pick the first name for the 2nd and he picked the middle name. I wanted something different but couldn't decide between Nathan and Tyee ( I liked Tyee because Jason and I love history and Tyee means American Indian Cheif) I asked Jake and he kept saying Tyee so Tyee it was. Jason picked James for the middle name after his father so Tyee James it was.
#19 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Special Member

I had planned on using Nicole as part of my child's name since I was in 9th grade, I had a friend back then named Nicole who was killed in a car accident. I had originally planned to use it as a middle name (back then I wanted Sierra Nicole) but Nicole was the only name Daniel and I could agree on, so we finally said ok let's use it as her first name! Then we were having trouble with a middle name, but one day I was talking to my sister, we were making plans to go somewhere, and I asked if her friend Caryn was going. Daniel says "That's a nice name, let's use it for her middle name!" He wanted a different spelling though, so we chose Korin.
#20 of 23 Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM

I had written a list of names in my mobile phone and showed Grant, even before we were preganant, we both agreed on the name Chloe, but then when I was about 2 months preganat I realized I liked the name Hayley a little bit more (we might use Chloe in the future, I don't know) anyway, I asked Grant what he thought of Hayley and he said he liked it, then with the middle name, I couldn't decide which one to chose (there are so many middle names that can go with Hayley) I thought about Morgan (my MIL's maiden name) Elizabeth (my Grandmother in laws name) but it was really hard, also I don't think we could have used a name starting with E coz her initials would have been HEC. I also thougt about Hayley Christine (Christine is MIL's name) but in the end I left it up to Grant and he chose Anne, (Anne is my and my nanna's middle name) if Hayley was a boy I like Nathan Grant (Grant is my fiance's name) and Grant wanted Aaron James. I'm so glad we had a girl coz I can't stand Aaron or James (sorry to offend anyone)
#21 of 23 Old 12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Special Member

With Desiree DH and I couldn't agree on any name. He finally said he liked Desiree and I agreed it was a different a name you don't hear all the time. Her middle name we both agreed on I think I liked it better, Angelina. Funny cause my older sister had wanted to name her daughter Angelina Desiree, but she later picked Serena. We just used the name the other way around Desiree Angelina.

With Moses, I had prayed for a boy and I said if God blessed us with a baby boy I would name him Moses, seeing as it's a bible name. So DH didn't get any say in it at all. I don't think he even knew till we went to the US apt and as we were walking out the lady asked if we had a name and I said yes MOSES. Then in the car I explained my reason for it. DH picked Daniel cause he had an uncle who's name was Danny that passed away. I'm not sure if his name was Danny or Daniel and they just called him Danny.
#22 of 23 Old 12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Special Member

Well, we used the baby books. We like Cedric, but kept looking, and when we came to Jerome we liked it better, so we chose it for the first. His middle name, Brian, is after my DH's brother.
So Cedric got his name as a leftover in some ways. His middle name, Nicholas, is after my sister, Nicole.
We briefly talked about this one. I would like Maree for a girl. My mother's name is Maria, and his mother's name is Mae, so it's after both of them. DH said he liked Christopher for a boy, but thinks there are too many Chris's already. He also mentioned he liked Marc. I don't really like either of them, but since I am convinced it's a girl, I won't fight with him until we have the ultrasound. Also, I will be so thrilled about any healthy baby at this point, that the name really isn't the important part, and if DH likes it, who cares to fight.
#23 of 23 Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Special Member

With our daughter I had liked Molly all along but wasn't going to use it b/c it seemed "childish" to me. I could never picture her as an adult with that name. So when we found out she was going to be stillborn I wanted use Molly b/c to us she'd always be our baby. Her middle name is Kathleen and that's after my aunt. Molly is also a form of Mary and my other aunt is named Mary.

With Zachariah I wanted Noah (I may get to use it this time!) and Mike didn't really have much to say either way. So after a failed induction, the night b/f another one he says to me, "I was reading the Bible and how about Zachariah?" I'm like, What??? I tried to talk him into Zacharias but he was adamant that it be Zachariah so I said ok. His middle name is Albert which is my dad's middle name, Mike's dad's middle name, my grandfather's name and Mike's great grandfather's name. Everytime I look at Zachariah I just knwo we picked the perfect name for him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page