How did you come up with your childrens names? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did you come up with your childrens names?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Darien Brian (Darien from a Sci-Fi show called the invisible man and Brian after my FIL)

Jonas Vernon (Jonas from a Sci-Fi show called Stargate and Vernon after my dad)

Leah Sheri (Leah from the bible and Sheri after my DH sister who died of cancer a year before Leah was born)
#3 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zachary [from Saved By the Bell] Ray [Johnny's middle name]
Bailey [from Party of Five] Alexander we just liked together
Emily [A porcelen cabbage patch doll insert I found in a magazine] Krista (that one's obvious!LOL!)
Payton [was actually our boy's name we had chosen and I heard it on one of those Bachelor shows] Olivia [another name for Olive which was my Grammy's name] Rose [was my great-grandmother's name]

#4 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Kirstie-Raie Marie (Kirstie from the movie Hellraiser One, Raie from a dear friend who was in the Gulf War at the time, Marie is my middle name also)

Chase Justice (Chase was named CJ (Carl Hennry Jr) but when Stan adopted him, he had to have a new name and he picked Chase Justice)

Maximus Kale (Maximus from the movie Gladiator and Kale from the movie Titan AE)
#5 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
Rhyne (from Ryne Sandberg-best 2nd baseman EVER for the Cubbies!) Meghanne (just liked it) Casidhe (just liked it)

Braylen (dh got this from some football player) Andrew (they only middle name we agreed on)

Kaleb (the only name we could agree on) Martin (after my maiden name and it's for my father)
#6 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Caitlyn is Irish/Welsh for Katerine which was my Great grandmother's name. Susanne is for my MIL whose name is Sue. Recently, my mil told dh she absolutely loved the Susanne. Her name is just plain Sue.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#7 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Special Member

My kids first names are just names I like. I didn't take them from a movie or tv show. I didn't want my kids to have trendy names, and I wanted them to have names that will sound good when they're adults. Sometimes I hear a name that is so cutesy that I feel sorry for that kid when he/she grows up.

Alexandria Leigh (middle name for my DH and grandma whose middle names are Lee)
William Stroh (my maiden name)
Henry David (my dad's middle name)
#8 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
My kids were named solely b/c we liked the name. We wanted them to have their own names, nothing too trendy. Something classy & strong.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#9 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Ours were just casue we liked em too.
#10 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM

I had known I would use Nicole as part of my first daughter's name since I was 14, I had planned it as a middle name originally, but Daniel and I decided to use it for her first name. Korin--I asked my sister one day if her friend Caryn (pronounced Corinne) was going to be coming with us to go shopping, Daniel said "That's a pretty name! Let's use it!" and he chose the spelling.

Our next child will be Elizabeth Danielle for a girl or Joseph Christian for a boy. Elizabeth is my middle name, Danielle for Daniel. Joseph is the name of a man that Daniel has always looked up to as a father, and Christian is my dad's middle name. My sister and I have a deal that whoever has a boy first will use Christian as the middle name.
#11 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 06:48 PM

With our daughter we had a few names picked out and couldn't decide between. I really liked Molly but thought it sounded "childish"--I couldn't imagine her grown up with that name. When she was stillborn I told Mike I wanted touse Molly b/c she wasn't going to grow up (w/ us at least).

Molly (form of Mary after my aunt) Kathleen (after my other aunt)

With Zach's name we also had several names but couldn't agree on one. I figured we'd name him when we saw him and went in for my induction. Six days later he still wasn't born...I said to Mike the night b/f Zach came, What are we going to name this kid and he said Zachariah. He said he found it int he Bible and that it meant "remembered by the Lord". It was perfect and that was that.

Zachariah (from the Bible) and Albert (both of his grandfather's middle names, my grandfather's first name and Mike's great grandfather's first name--had to use it!)

With this one we are still undecided. I have basically the same list of names I had with Zachariah. I am hoping Mike comes up with somehting great pretty darn soon.
#12 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I like old fashioned names and their middle names are after relatives.

Gregory - Greg: Named after my fiance who died when I was 17 James after my maternal grandfather

Richard - Ricky: I liked Nicky for a boys name but it would have been with our surname so instead of Nicholas we used Richard George after Des' Dad

Anthony - Tony: He was supposed to be Megan Greg said what about Anthony and we liked it. Kenneth for my father.
#13 of 23 Old 04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Addicted Member

DH came up with it. I really don't know where it come from, but he heard it and liked it.
#14 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 AM

I was on my annual Girls' Trip to the Beach, and we were on our way to pick up some of the other girls from the airport. Someone asked me what name I had come up with for the baby. I had the boy name with no problem, and for a girl, I had picked Emily, but I could not decide on a middle name. So, we started talking about middle names. My friend Kem suggested Kate for a middle name. I thought it was cute. After we picked up the other two girls from the airport, the five of us headed off to dinner. We told them about the possibility of Emily Kate, and everyone liked it. We went to eat at this seafood restaurant on the beach, and our waitress walked up and said, "Hi, I am Emily, I will be your waittress." In unison, all five of us said, "What is your middle name?" NO JOKE, she said, "Kate." I saw that as a sign. Throughout our dinner, we found out that she was an English major at the University of Alabama. Given that I was a Language Arts teacher and that I am a HUGE University of Alabama fan, that was icing on the cake. Emily Kate it was and is!

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#15 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Addicted Member

Tammy that is an amazing story
#16 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Krista - -

Lauren Olivia came from my grandmother too who was named Olive! Lauren was unnamed until she was 3 days old, and it was never on our "list" but she woke up crying in the hospital and I just called her Lauren.. Olivia was a given for the middle name...

Brody Douglas - - Brody bc DH thought it sounded "soccer-ish" and Douglas is DH middle name and FIL first name...
#17 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Special Member

This has been a fun thread to read!

Ok, with the boys we only had 2 weeks to decide before their due date, so after arguing we decided I would name one boy and Billy would name the other. Aaron Tucker is only in that order because Billy didn't want to call him Tucker. Kevin Irvin is a first name I could live with and Irvin-- Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin.

With Olivia, we had the full 9 months to haggle. We were down to Julia, Olivia and Madeline (my favorite). When we saw her, she was an Olivia. Her middle name is Crosby for Billy's maternal grandparents (their last name).

The next one will have Marie as a middle name for my mom. Now if I could just get Billy moving on those darn adoption papers!
#18 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 10:45 PM

Well we're already working on this. We're picking names we like. We don't want anything too trendy but I don't want them to get their butt kicked because it's too out there either.

We have about 5 first names for each. Whatever boy name we like we know we'll use Michael for a middle name from Mike. Girls will be whatever strikes our fancy, there are a few female names from the family we are considering for middle names though.
#19 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Special Member

Brianna was the first girls name Jason liked, her middle name Elizabeth we just thought it sounded nice together-Brianna Elizabeth.

Kaitlyn-We had a hard time deciding on a girls name for her but we went to a fundraiser when I was 8 months along with the Twins and it was for a little girl with a rare form of cancer and they needed to raise money for her treatments in the States and her name was Kaitlyn-it sounded so nice we decided to use it. Her middle name is a family tradition, my middle name, my Mom's, my Grandmother's, Great-Grandmother's etc...Kaitlyn Ann.

Anthony-Jason's name is Jason Anthony and we decided we would just switch his name around and that is how he got his name- Anthony Jason
#20 of 23 Old 04-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Special Member

Dh and I had discussed baby names since we were dating. I always liked Christian Mason among others. When we were dating dh didn't like Christian and never wanted his son named after him. : When I was actually pregnant with him and we were discussing names my dh decided he liked Christian and wanted his name as his middle- hence Christian Jared.

For this one I have had the names Alexis Nikole and Shaylin Hope picked out since high school. We dh and I met he liked them. However my brother named my niece Shelby Nikole. I came up with Jordyn for a middle name instead so that's how we got Alexis Jordyn.
#21 of 23 Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 PM

I, too wanted the kids to not have trendy names.

Thomas Daniel is the reverse of my husband's name ( Daniel Thomas).

Meghan was actually my sister in law's suggestion and since we really hadn't thought of any we could agree on, we went with it. ( Thanks Audrey) Elizabeth is my middle name so it is Meghan Elizabeth.
#22 of 23 Old 04-23-2006, 06:13 PM

Olivia Shayne - Olivia from Olivia Newton-John, Shayne just a name I liked
Mikayla Parker Hayley - Mikayla was a name we liked and so with Parker. Hayley we got from the Australian tv show, Home and Away
#23 of 23 Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Kayla Elizabeth was my DH's choice.....Kayla after my MIL who is Trella Kay and Elizabeth for Elizabethtown where he was born....It works well for us. Also Alicia Grace, his oldest daughter is named after his GG, Grace

Emily

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page