User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this may be a little premature (as I don't even know the gender yet) but I am going to ask anyway!

Soooo, it turns out that MY girl names happen to also be everybody else's. No joke, they are both in the top 10 most popular names! Ava & Emma! What are the chances?

I really don't want my kid to have a name that everyone else is going to have so I have thought of 2 more that I really like, Josephine & Amy. I favor Amy slightly but my last name is 2 syllables and ends with a y and I am wondering if it might be weird to do Amy b/c of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 PM

First of all, don't pay too much attention to the most popular baby names list. My daughter's name is or was #1, and I named her that anyway, because I like it. So far, she throughout her years of Mom's Morning Out and Preschool, there has been only 1 other Emily in her class and she spells her name Emilie, so they were able to make the distinction because we spell Emily's name with a y. It's the same with all her years in church, only one other Emily there too. Of all the hundreds of kids I taught, I only taught two Emilys. So, the books say it's common, but that has not been my experience. I would name your baby whatever suits you for whatever reason.
Remember everyone is going to have an opinion on your baby's name and not everyone will like it. It's just important that you do! And I love the name Amy by the way. Very cute name!

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#3 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks Tailwaggers!

#4 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

What is your last name? For example, my son's name is Travis, but I would have named him that even if our last name was Davis (it's not) because I don't think Travis Davis sounds bad, but it depends on the last name. I like the name Nathan, but our last name is N--man, so Nathan N--man to me doesn't sound good. KWIM?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#5 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 AM - Thead Starter

My last name is Purdy. My husband thinks that Amy Purdy might sound a little sing songy. I like the name Travis!
#6 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Name her (or him) whatever you like and sounds good to you. Like Tammy said, everyone will have and opinion, but the only ones that matter your's and your DH's! And I love the name Ava!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM

How do you think Amy Purdy sounds? I am from the south, so it sounds fine to me!
Thank you! Travis was the boy's name I had picked if Emily had been a boy, and when I got pregnant the second time, we thought about other names but kept coming back to Travis. He is loosely named after a good friend of mine's son, also named Travis, who I love and adore. Her son is a grown man, so it's not too weird.
I also love the name Ava!
Have you thought about Ava Josephine?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#8 of 10 Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
By some strange twist of fate, my sister and I both have dds only 3 months apart, both nicknamed Kate. Her Kate is a Katherine. Mine is a Caitlyn. I, also, have a first cousin whose dd's name is Caitlyn. I would have still named my dd Caitlyn and nicknamed her Kate even with all the others in the family. I wasn't in regular communication with my family back then, so none of us had any idea our dds have such similiar names. I imagine when our kids meet up in person, they will be Katherine Jane and Caitlyn Susanne.

Pick any name you and your dh like for your baby. You and your little family are the ones who have to live everyday with the baby's name, so pick something you love.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice! Right now I am really leaning towards Ava or Amy.

TW, I actually had thought of Ava Josephine but my husband doesn't like it! Grrrr!!!
#10 of 10 Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 AM

For me Ava is a cute name...Maybe you can change its partner name mabe Ava Claire, Ava Dane or Ava Michelle....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page