What is the longest you have kept a house plant alive? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM - Thead Starter
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you still have it today?

The only few times I have attempted to keep houseplants I have moved within 1.5 years of buying them. Since they don't move long distance well I have left them behind. As far as I know they are still living though and I just recently bought a new one for this house.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
i have no idea!!! i haven't really tried to keep houseplants long term b/c i always end up forgetting about them and forget to water them or whatever.
#3 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
about two weeks. I've killed a violet and a few chia pets. I'm surprised they let me have kids. George does the plant keeping in the house. The one we have now is ivy and .. though it could use some water, it's been alive several months now.

#4 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Special Member

i thought about getting a cactus plant to put in my kitchen window above my sink.. so the kids and cat would leave it alone.. i shouldn't be able to kill that!!!!
#5 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Special Member

I've had the same orchid now for about 3 years. That includes 2 moves which is so hard to do with an orchid.

My mom has a plant that's as old as my brother (20 years). It's an ivy type one though.
#6 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Given: 2
One plant lasted one whole year. That is amazing for me. I forget to water them. Now I just have fake ones in my house.
#7 of 14 Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Addicted Member

I actually have one that John and I got in Florida. It is about 8 years old. My MIL was going to throw it away when I had Ryan cos it was looking real sad, but I wouldn't let her. I replanted it and it is beautiful again. She couldn't believe it was the same plant.
#8 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 03:15 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
I'm a total black thumb, but my sister and my dh are very gifted in that area. I think some of dh's plants, he's had the entire 10+ years we've been married. My sister, of course, is in the plant business professionally. She is quite talented. In fact, considering most of my relatives were/are farmers, I have no idea where I got my total lack of ability with plants. Everyone else seems to have it but me.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#9 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not very long. I'm not good with houseplants.
#10 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Special Member

I've had a few... two of them are going on 12 years.
The worst part is I've TRIED to kill them and Dan won't let me!

I throw them outside - ready to toss them - and Dan will clip them back (almost to the dirt) and next thing I know it's thriving again. Ugh.

I just don't have the time to deal with them anymore now that I have my kids.
#11 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
i have one that i've had for 17 years now, it was a housewarming gift from a friend when i moved into my first appartment. it has struggled over the years but it is doing wonderfully still, it is an ivy that is i guess imposible to kill

i did have a shamerock that my mom had forever, then my step mom for 15 years, i had it for only 2 years i think before i just recently killed it off
#12 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
I have a catus I can forget to water it and its ok.

Honestly though I am not sure if I STILL have it cause I only remember him every few months. If I do have him then he's going on two years.
#13 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Special Member

I have a plant that my sil gave me about 3 years ago. It's a clipping from a plant she has that was clipping from a plant Mike's uncle gave HIS mother about 50 years ago! I forget the name of it but it's just a green leafy thing, not ivy. I also have a 3 year old or so Christmas Cactus.

My favorite plant is my peace lily (or some people call it a prayer plant). It was a gift when Molly died so it's going on 4 years right now. We've repotted it several times and it's in the biggest pot I think we can have in the house. It's huge. We keep it in our master bath next to the tub. Whenever it looks a little droopy I have to say I get sad but it's always come back and is quite healthy. It gets really nice white flowers on it.
#14 of 14 Old 03-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Special Member

My Hawian Sheferella has lasted over 20 years. I bought it in a 4 inch pot during my first marriage. Who knew that houseplants can outlast marriages...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page