Low maintenance flowers - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was doing some research online yesterday about flowers...low maintenance flowers. I plan on getting some forget-me-nots, peonias, and I would like to even get some kind of butterfly-attracting plant/flowers.

Are you planting any easy flowers? If so, what are you planting?

The area I plan on doing the planting in gets some sun and some shade depending on the time of day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I don't have any flowers at this house yet I'd like to get a trellis for the front of the house with something that climbs. I only have about a foot worth of grass there and it seems silly.
#3 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Special Member

Petunias are about the easiest plant I've ever messed with. They grow and grow and grow .... well, you get the picture! I always make the mistake of planting too many, then they take over my garden. Amazingly, mums did very well for me too. The first year I planted them, in the fall, they died immediately. But then they started growing back green last year and by the fall, they were huge and GORGEOUS!

#4 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Addicted Member

I love petunias. I did the same thing last year, too, Dawn. I got a couple and they did so well that I went back and bought a ton more. It was terrible. We had them everywhere. I got some double petunias, too. And those were beautiful.

DH is partial to geraniums.

I like violets and violas for the early spring. And pansies, too. They don't tend to tolerate the hot summer sun well, though.

I planted tulips and hyacinths, and since they're a bulb, they've come back every spring and done well. I don't really have to do anything to them. But they don't last long.

Hostas are good for the shade, and they're pretty hardy. But they're more of a greenery thing for the shade. I have never had any, but I think I'm going to get some this year.
Some of them have flowers that bloom and some don't.

I got double impatiens last year for the shade out back. They did pretty well. If I could have kept the cats from sleeping in the flower bed, they would have done better. LOL!
#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
I love planting wave petunias....all you have to do is pinch off the dead flowers and more will grow....and man do they grow!!
#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
Oh yeah..I forgot about petunias! I'll have to get some of those.
#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
I will hafta try petunias.
We get full sun in the front where I like to plant pretty flowers to show off but it gets so hot here that my marigolds were the only things that survived. I started them out as seeds and they grew FAST! They are supposed to come back every year too!
#8 of 8 Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
Krista, do the petunias.....they LOVE full sun.....and if you get the kids to pick off the dead flowers, they loe it.....and the more dead ones you pick you end up wtih way way way more new flowers......they will take over wherever you plant them if you let them....and they look really nice there are different kinds on Petunias too....regular ones, wave petunias and double wave (which can be hard to find at times) and they come in beautiful colors too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page