Anyone planting veggies this year? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished planting all of my veggies this past week. Lucky for me, Houston seems to be in a zone where you can pretty much plant stuff all year long! (I didn't know that until recently.)

I planted 2 beefsteak tomatoes (Rick's fav) and 12 Early Girl tomatoes (3 to a pot). Also planted2 cherry tomatoes for Ally (in a hanging planter) 6 cucumbers, 6 greenpeppers, 5 squash, 1 zuccini and 2 strawberries. I am amazed at how much everything has grown already! I joined a gardening group and they told me to plant 80% of the tomato plants in the ground after snipping off the leaves at the bottom. When I was done, less than 2 inches of the beefsteaks were showing and I was dubious. But now, less than a week late, they are already almost a foot tall! And I have 2 buds on one plant and 3 on the other! And I have 2 strawberries already, too!

I think the fishtank water helped alot! LOL! Bill cleaned out the fish tank last Thursday and poured the "nutrient rich" water on the plants (his words, not mine). Now I am thinking of getting some fish fertilizer to start using next month. Hmmmm.... And Bill had requested that I get some habanero and jalapeno pepper plants. I've never tried to grow them, but apparently they are super easy so I'm going to give it a try. Heck the worst that can happen is that I will kill them and goodness knows I've done that before!

So, anyone else gonna plant a veggie garden this year?

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 15
Hey Brenda... Yep, we are planting veggies! Gonna start them in the house this week (still gets in the 30s at night here) and the girls are helping. Should be interesting since other than helping MIL, and my own Mom when I was little have never had a succesful garden.
We are planting 3 types of lettuce (love salads), yellow and red carrots (can you tell Sammie and Tessa picked), tomatos regular and cherry, green peppers, zucchinni, squash, eggplant, blue green beans, onions, potatos and the girls have a bunch of flowers too. We are also doing watermelon and pumpkins.
So basically all the veggies we eat although we got fun colored ones for some of them. Should be interesting to see what grows and what doesn't.

btw, I will be in Houston in October and I would love to meet you!
#3 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM - Thead Starter

Heather, just let me know when you will be here and I'll meet you where ever you want! I've yet to meet anyone from BU and I would love to meet you!

I am thinking of putting in some lettuce and scallions. Since I do container gardening, I can plant both of those together. Though about doing green beans (Rick's fav veggie), but I just don't think I have the room. Have to think about that. I would love to have potatoes and carrots, but since I can't plant in the yard (dogs dig everything up), I don't think any of my planters wouldbe deep enough for those. Maybe I will do some research on them and see what I can turn up!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

#4 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Likes Earned: 0
I've never had a veggie garden but I would like too. I'd have to start them inside if I did it now though. Until Mother's day I can't put anything outside.
#5 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
I always plant veggies. Not much in the world is better than home grown tomatoes.
I will have lots and lots of them, green leaf lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries, radishes, bell peppers and who knows what else. The ones I listed are the ones I do every year but I usually throw a few other things in on a whim. Oh, and canteloupe and watermelon...cannot forget them!
#6 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Addicted Member

You know Jen I never really pictured you as a gardener.

I am actually on the phone with my mom and she is talking about planting a garden.
#7 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 PM

I heard carrots are hard to grow Do you have problems with them? Do you do something special?
#8 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Jen
Special Member

I cannot keep flowers alive to save my life but I do good with veggies. I grew up with all of my family having gardens.
Carrots have never been hard for me at all. And all I usually do to the garden is use Sevin dust and the tomato Miracle Grow (I use it on everything). Well, I take that back, the only problems I have are the girls getting out there and trying to pick everything before its ready.
#9 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 15
So... I will consider Jen the expert and if as a clueless beginner I need help, I'm bugging you...

Brenda, I will be there from the 21st of October till the 29th (I think those are the dates)... My girlfriend Jen is getting married in Kingwood and then going to the Ren Faire. I'm coming for a whole week though so I will definitly plan on getting together with you
#10 of 10 Old 03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Jen
Special Member

Well, I am an expert because I have my dad on speed dial. I probably call him a gazillion times as I am getting ready to plant stuff to make sure I am doing it all right. And when gets ready to plant his, he calls me to tell me what I need to get planted at that time. Its not all me...I do the work but with remote assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page