User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you have an herb garden? Every year I try to grow some from seed and they always die. I was very discouraged and had just about decided to give up. But the owner of my container gardening list said that herbs are darn near impossible to grow from seed (with very few exceptions). Since she is a master gardener and said even SHE has problems, I don't feel quite so bad now!!

So tonight Ally and I went to Home Depot and got some herbs to plant tomorrow. We got

Parsley, Flat Leaf
Parsley, Italian
Lavender (cause Ally liked the pretty plant!)
Basil, Purple (never tried it but it smells heavenly!)
Oregano
Onion Chives

and 2 others I can't remember. We got the peat pots, so all I have to do is put the entire thing in the pots we got and I'll be done. I'll be keeping most of them on the kitchen windowsill until the weather is warmer on a consistent basis.

I sill want to get some rosemary, sage, thyme, fennel (the ones at HD were sickly looking), and garlic (although I know it take a year before you can actually use the garlic - it takes that long to mature). I may end up with a few others, as well. Just depends on what I can find and if it is something we use on a regular basis (we use ALOT of spices in our cooking).

Has anyone ever used purple basil or lavender in their cooking? The purple basil is probably not much different that regualr bacil. But I have no idea what I would use lavender in, but Ally wanted to try it so we got it. It was only $3.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 15
hmmm... maybe that's why my herbs never work out!~
I will have to try doing some from starter plants. I have used Purple Basil... just the same as regular. Lavendar, I have used in teas, and in cakes. A little goes a long way... I really just love the way Lavender smells. You can also use it in the bath tub
#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM - Thead Starter

Well, obviously I am not meant to have fresh herbs. Half of them are dying already! I'm planning on doing some research - amybe I can save a few of them.

A lady on freecycle gave me some cilantro, purple basil and rosemary. I plant the purple basil with the other I had and it is doing fine. Put the cilantro and rosemary in water. The rosemary has already grown like 3 inches! She wasn't kidding when she told me it grows like a weed! Have to keep and eye on it once I get it planted. The rosemary needs to root before I plant it, but it still smells great and looks really good. I may use some this week!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

#4 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Rosemary is super easy, just plant and forget! I like to cut sprigs off when we grill Salmon. Just set them on top of the filet while it cooks and remove them when you take the filet off the grill... mmmm tastes so good.

Basil you'll want to make sure you don't let flower. Just trim the buds that grow with your nails, that will keep it producing the leaves you're after.

I've been unable to herb garden at our new house since our dogs tear up anything I plant in the backyard. I want to fence off an area because I really love herbs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page