User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone planting a garden this year? This will be my 3rd or 4th year to have a garden. I'm getting better at it and it gets bigger every year. I love having fresh veggies at my disposal!

This year I will be planting tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, squash, pole beans, and strawberries.

I want to try about 7 different kids of tomatoes, but I think I only have room for 4 so I need to narrow down my list! LOL!

I will be planting regular green peppers, jalopenos, Anaheim peppers (long skinny green peppers), and another one that starts with a C but I can''t remember the name of (it's a hot one). Ally and I saw a purple pepper that I might try. Looks just like a green pepper, but it's a deep violet color. Heck, I gotta do it just to see what they are like!

Cucumbers - pickling cukes, burpless and regular

Squash - yellow and zuchini squash

Pole beans - this is a new thing for me, as I've never grown them before (I add something new every year it seems). I want the Snap Beans (Sugar Snap, I think some call them) and some regular old peas, just have to see what I can find.

Strawberries - we already have one plnat that I got last year as an experiment for Ally. This thing refuses to doe even after I left it out all winter long! In fact, we have already gotten a few berries off it this year! So I am planning on getting 6-7 more strawberry plants. You don't get much fruit at all the first year. But with that many plantsa, by next year I should be getting enough that I can freeze alot of them for later in the season when they are hideously exp[ensive at the grocery store.

I have thought about trying onions and potatoes, too. They both seem very easy to grow. The potatoes need a very deep planter (alot of people use garbage cans of a stack of tires filled with potting soil) and I'm not sure I have the room for it. We'll see. The onions I am just worried we won't use that many, although I could always dice them and freeze to use in soups and stuff. (I find they get a little soft after being frozen, but are still great in dishes where they are going to be cooked anyway. Just not good to eat plain.)

So, think I am being too ambitious? This will be my biggest gardening attempt yet. But I am finding that I actually look forward to it every spring! I'm not an outdoors kinda gal, but I do like this. Plus it saves TONS at the grocery store. It costs more upfront (for the plants, potting soil and plant food), but saves in the long run. Heck, I just used up the last of my frozen green peppers in December!

I got 2 gardening books while I was at HD. One is specific for Texas vegetable gardens (which I need because most things are general and it gets so hot here that alot of plants have problems). The other is a general vegetable gardening by Miracle Grow. It have lots of general info about plant care, plant disease, companion planting, etc. Now I just need a really good book on container gardening. There is one I want and it costs over $50, but everyone on my list agrees that it is THE book to get on container gardening if you are going to buy one. Just need to get down to Barnes and Nobles and pick it up.

Either later this week or next week, I will be picking up the veggies to plant. Until then,m I will be reading my books to see if I can get any more great ideas!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure what we are going to do with the garden this year...
We will be gone most of the summer, so not sure it's really worth it to plant the garden, but the girls and I both love it.
More than likely will plant it anyway, and I have already told my neighbors that if I plant one they are more than welcome to come help themselves once we leave.
We have strawberries in the ground already (they were the previous owners)...
Definitely going to plant Cherry Tomatoes, and Regular
More than likely doing Zucchini and Squash, carrots, and lettuce

I will probobaly not do much more than that, because it seems kind of a waste since we won't be here for most of the harvest season....
who knows....
Tessa has asked her Opa to plant a garden in MO for us to eat from while we are there... she loves to eat her veggies straight from the garden. I have no idea what he will plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page