First tomatoes & other garden stuff - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should be getting my first tomatoes in the next week or so. I've got one that has been growing for well over a month - it's huge - and it's still green! But hopefully with the weather getting warmer, things should start ripening soon! I'm very excited!

My squash and zucchini are gowing like mad! I already have tons of baby zucchini that will be ready to pick by the end of the month!

The cucumbers are also growing by leaps and bounds. I have to get out there this weekend and finally get a trellis of some kind put together before they are all over the ground. And now that they all have flowers on them, I have to go out there and hand-pollinate them. No bees to speak of, so it's up to me if I want cucumbers and pickles!

The puppies are already eating the leaves of the squash and zucchini that have grown over the sides of the raised bed. Nothing I can do about that, tho. Rick is going to try to rig some kind of gate to keep the dogs out of there. We'll see how successful he is.

I have babies on my jalapenos! Now I just need to get some cilantro and I will be able to make homemade salsa! YUM! The bell peppers all have babies, as well. I should have quite a large harvest once everything starts coming in.

My strawberries "look" like they are doing well, but it's hard to tell. The berries keep mysteriously disappearing! Ally just can't wait and picks them as soon as they turn red, so I have no idea how much they are actually producing.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Surprisingly one of my favorite veggies to grow was the simple bell pepper. They're really very good home grown and I LOVE making stuffed bell peppers.

You have quite the veggie garden going, I'd like to see pictures sometime!
#3 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
I can take pics, but I have never been able to resize them so I can post them. Maybe I can send them to someone to do this for me. WAIT! My dad just recently sent me some microsoft program for resizing (haven't used it yet). Maybe I'll try this. If I can make it work, I'll post pics.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

#4 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Brenda, I use Irfanview for my pics, it is so easy and it's free.

Let's see, my onions are doing pretty well, we're getting some tomato plants pretty soon. Jerm is going to get me some pickling cuke seed or plants soon. Hopefully our strawberries will start coming up soon as well! Our corn isn't doing so great so we're going to order some more soon.
#5 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
That's great that your garden is doing so well! But how the **** do you self pollenate them? LOL
#6 of 6 Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
"The berries keep mysteriously disappearing! Ally just can't wait and picks them as soon as they turn red, so I have no idea how much they are actually producing."

Sounds like something I would do!! I love strawberries!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page