Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you mow your own yard, or do you pay to have it done? If you pay to have it done, I have a few questions:

What do you expect them to do?

How often do you have it done?

How large is your yard?

How much do you pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Mike mows and trims our lawn but we pay a service to fetilize, tick control, crabgrass, etc. Our yard is only 2 years old since the house is new so fertilizing is really important. I do all the gardening but pay a landscaper to edge and mulch the beds every spring. We had it professionally landscaped to begin with but I did the beds around the deck myself. Mostly I'm upkeeping what the professional put in besides those beds. We have a lot of beds--all perennials. I wanted to pay a neighborhood kid to mow but Mike wants to keep control over it--the yeard looks really good and he's really proud of it!
#3 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
I would LOVE to have ours done. Even for the money, it would save a TON of time. However, with fuel going up, I don't think it would even be an option.

So, to answer your question, My DH, mows his own lawn. He's too much of a control freak over "his" lawn to let anyone else do it. Men!

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
We used to have ours done, it ran about $80 mo.That was for mow front/back. edging and weedeating.
#5 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

I pay to have it done, but the lawn man just emailed me yesterday to let me know he won't be doing it anymore. He's moving on to another business, pest management. I told him I need help with that too, darn spiders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinapooh2
What do you expect them to do?
Mow (front/back), edge beds, trim/shape decorative grasses and plants in beds. Maintain beds on every visit.
Quote:
How often do you have it done?
1x every 2 weeks
Quote:
How large is your yard?
Not large, we live in a subdivision, standard 60' lot
Quote:
How much do you pay?
$27 but I always tipped him $5 since gas prices have gotten so high
#6 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 PM

We had a service at our old house. It was 1/4 of an acre or so and the guy mowed, edged and weed-eated (weed-ate?lol) for $40/month. He would come out every week during the growing season and once a month during the winter. We do our new house ourselves.
#7 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Mike (my ex-husband) is a landscaper that did mowing jobs on the side for years. Getting service from a true landscaping company with the works (flower beds, edging, pruning, etc.) can be pricey. However, if all you need is basic mowing and weed eating it would be cheaper to hire someone private. An average sub-division lawn would probably run you about $30 per week give or take depending on the economy in your area. Expect neatness! Expect grass clippings to be cleaned out of your driveway, edges to be clean, and if the guy really pays attention to detail, you should notice a mowing pattern on your lawn (alternating stripes).

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#8 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, we mow about 2 1/2-3 acres of land. I hope that makes my response seem LESS like a cheapskate!

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#9 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
Steve mows our yard.
#10 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Bill does ours. I take $100 a month off his rent to do the yard. Rick and I hate yardwork, but Bill loves it. We don't have to do it and it always looks good.

When we first moved in (5 years ago) we paid someone $100 a month ($25 a week) in the summer. I imagine it's much more expensive now.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page