The end of the Garden - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The heat has just about killed everything that was still trying to grow. It's just too darn hot here! Been over 100 for almost a week now. Even my tomatoes are struggling. Guess it is time to start planning the fall garden!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Well that sucks! Ours is popping out cucumbers like nuts and zucchini. We have a bunch of tomatoes but they are still green so we are waiting anxiously for those. My peppers are the only thing that really bombed this year.
#3 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 3
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry your garden is struggling.

#4 of 6 Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 AM - Thead Starter

Yeah, we have an earlier planting season than you do, Wendy. I planted at the end of Feb, beginning of March. Not alot will grow once it gets this hot. But I did make up some preliminary plans for a shade cover for the maters for next year. I was reading where covering them for the worst part of the here around here can extend the growing season in summer by 3-4 weeks. But I also be growing more in the fall, so I'm not too upset. About the only time you can't grow things outside in Houston is December and January. Heck our first frost date isn't until the middle of December anyway!

~*~Brenda~*~

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of 6 Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
We didn't plant ours until June which is still VERY late. But it was so cold in parts of May/ June this year that we held off. plus, the past 2 years we've had nice weather into Nov. so we just held off. Doesn't bother me because it is growing wonderfully.
#6 of 6 Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 PM - Thead Starter

Liz, peppers can be fickle about where they are. Are they next to the tomatoes? For some reason, the peppers don't grow as well when they are next to tomatoes - don't ask me why, they just don't. Also, althought hey love the heat, they don't like it quite as much as the tomatoes to, so that might be it too. Or it just could be that it's an off year for them. I have to water my plants 2X A DAY - even my SWC's (self-watering containers), although they just get surface watering. I only have to fill them up once a week, which saves me alot of time and the plants love it!

~*~Brenda~*~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page