Are you planning to have a garden this summer? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it is still snowing everyday, but let's think of something warm. Who's going to raise a garden this year? What are you planning on planting? Does your dh/so help you?

My pot garden was a disaster. The maintenance men said the landlords would probably let us have a real garden, but I think every bite of food would be stolen.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
No garden for me as I still live in an apartment ... I even forgot to plant my tulip bulbs last fall like I intended to.
A few flower baskets is all I'll be getting.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I really want one but I don't really know what I'm doing. I did grow tomatoes a couple of years ago and those were good. I may get my daddy to help me plant one this year. He does a great little garden every year with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and zuchinni (sp).

#4 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Oh yeah! This year and every year for the past 5 years, I have done a container garden. The guys and I hasve even plotted out a permanent garden space in the yard. May not get it done this year (need money to put up a small fence, re-route the sprinklers and put in permanent raised beds).

I am planning on 20-30 tomato plants (different varities), 10-15 pepper plants, cucumbers (altho I never have any luck with them) and green beans. There will be more, but not sure exactly what. As soon as the tax return gets here, I am ordering some seeds to get started next month. Normal planting season starts here at the end of Feb, beginning of March.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#5 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Elaine, if you have a patio/balcony, or just some space near your front door, I'll bet you could grow a few things. It's easier than you think!

~*~Brenda~*~

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
not this year. maybe next year. I know Alyssa wants to plant one - just not sure If I'll be up to helping her get one started.
#7 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
We aren't going to plant a garden but, if we can afford it, I would like to do some landscaping out front this year.
#8 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Likes Earned: 10
YES, YES, AND YES! lol I missed planting my garden last year bc Logan was too little to be kept outside in his bassinette and he was a colicy baby so we did not have a flower garden or a veggie/fruit garden.

But we are definately planting one this year. Shane loves watermelon, he didn't have any last year bc I refused to pay $6 for one. She that is on the top of our list to plant.
#9 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
We always plant one. We grow hot peppers, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes...
#10 of 12 Old 01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
I don't know yet. Brandon liked growing his tomato and peppers last year and wants to do it again. Caitlyn wants to do lettuce in a container.

My mom is planting dome flowers for me, though. Hopefully I can go see them this summer.
#11 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Lettuce is cool (not cold) weather plant, Jennifer. Oncwe the temps get into the 80's (or pretty near there) lettuce doesn't grow very well. Not sure when your weather starts to warm up, but you want to grow lettuce BEFORE that happens. And lettuce grows very fast. Some varieties will grow more if you harvest them correctly, others are a one shot. But most are small and VERY easy to grow. Most people plant them about once every week or so if they are using the kind that doesn't come back. I haven't grown any because it gets too hot to fast here. They always end up dying on me.

~*~Brenda~*~

#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Your lettuce grows early. It should be planted right before the last frost like you plant your peas. It'll grow in the 80's-90's but not as quickly. My FIL had so much lettuce last year that he was giving us a bag or two a week...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page