Too much information - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to learn how to garden, but there is so much information out there (especially from the state extension service), that I get overloaded and confused.  I know I'm supposed to compost, and the compost should be layered, but with what?  I can get tons of leaves in the fall, but my mower doesn't have a bag on the back.  Or I would already be using the grass clippings on my garden.  What do I layer in this compost bin other than leaves? 

The bin is supposed to be in the shade, but I know these things smell, so I want it in the back of my yard.  The only part of my yard not shaded is the far corners in the back of my yard. 

I'm supposed to mulch my vegetable garden with compost or straw.  Compost is going to really stink up my car, so where do I find straw?  I'm not paying $40 a bale for decorative straw.  Beauty is not what I need.  I'm going to rip it to shreds and throw it on the ground.  What I want is cheap.  I may ask my uncle.  He's a farmer.  He's got to know where I can find cheap straw, because I am not paying big bucks for straw.  Especially since I know from growing up on the farm that all the straw and hay available now is from last summer and probably gnarly and half rotten by now - which sucks for feeding animals, but great for my garden. 

I have a yard mainly consisting of dandelions which I need to find a cheap, organic way to get rid of, because I can't use poisons in my yard for a variety of reasons. 

I am totally clueless on this yard and garden stuff.  I never owned a place before.  Plus there is just so much information out there that it's hard to sort through it all.  How do i know what I need to know and what I can wait to learn?  Dh already knows a lot of this, but he just isn't really interested beyond mowing and weedeating the lawn.  Although, I did catch him in the garden watering today without being asked and he did mention landscaping with shrubs when I brought it up. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15

I hear you on all the conflicting info.  I am struggling with that here as well.  I tend to call Jim's Uncle (who farms) or his parents (who used to Garden) for advice.  

For the straw the local farm and feed store should have it for dirt cheap.  I bought straw bales last spring for $5.  I will be buying more here in a few weeks when Sammie get's her birthday present from Pops (he bought her a bow and arrow).

The rest of it, I would see if you can get in good with a local Mom and Pop garden store in your area... they may be able to help you with info because it helps them.  

#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12

I've been watching videos from the state extension service which helps because they don't give a lot of extraneous information.  They keep it simple in the videos, but their written info is too detailed for the novice. 

#4 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

I hear you grace.  I have a bin myself from recycled pail that has a hole in the bottom.  I covered it with a lid but it still gets very wet when it rains, and you're supposed to wet it from time to time only.   I'm also confused on what to do.redface.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in