Has anyone ever refinished furniture? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 10:35 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have this set that is about 11 years old. It's a lovely golden brown, which clashes terribly with our new decor. I'm really wanting to refinish it a deep mahogony. Mike said there is this new stuff that strips the finish off, then I can just restain it since I'm going darker. He says it's fairly easy.

Just wondering if anyone has tried doing this yourself??? I get the feeling I will end up undertaking a MAJOR project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
My brother was into refinishing furniture for a little while and from what I understand it isn't quite as simple as applying it and letting it strip away the old finish. You put it on and it kind of gums up the old finish and then you have to scrape it off with a putty knife. After that some kinds are suposed to rinse off all the final residue with water and others you have to sand a little bit to get the bits off. I would say it is a major weekend project to get the old stuff off and apply new. It would save you a fortune though and if Mike is willing to do it or atleast help tackle it I say go for it.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#3 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Special Member

It is a pretty big project. It depends on how well the stripper works. Stained furniture is not as bad to refinish as painted furniture. You will need to sand it down once most of the stain is off of the furniture. If you have a power sander it's not too bad.

#4 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 02:21 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ugh ... the project is growing. Thanks ladies!
#5 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

It has so much detail in certain areas that I'm afraid that would be impossible. But I may try the night stand, the smallest piece and see which works best.
#6 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Special Member

Depends on the product you use and how long you let it sit. I have redone furniture that was painted, and the paint come off easier the longer I let the stripper sit on it.
#7 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 03:18 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Come on Nikki ... don't you want to come up and help me with my project? It'll give you a good upper body workout!
#8 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I knew a woman who every time she had a project to complete would throw a painting party or a furniture stripping BBQ. She provided the food and drinks and her friends would help with the work.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06
#9 of 11 Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Member

That's not a bad idea, Elaine!

I've done a couple of things. Nothing major. A couple of chairs, a stool, an end table. I had this one chair that had been painted SEVERAL times, and I had to use the stripper on it a couple of times before it got down to the wood. It was a gunky mess. But with the others, it was pretty easy. They were simple pieces, though. Not a lot of detail. If you use the stripper stuff and it doesn't come up easily, then let it set some more.
#10 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 PM

I've done it and how complex it is depends on the type of furniture. When I did this with a full set of bedroom furniture that had very smooth Danish Moderne lines, it was pretty simple. When I refinished the furniture for my daughter's room, which was French Provincial with lots of carving and details, it was pretty complicated.

I'll tell you an amusing trick I learned about refinishing! In my house, we have trouble keeping track of socks... mine come out of the dryer in pairs, and no one else's do, so I am always saving "unmatched socks" in hope of pairing them up eventually. Some do, some don't. Well, orphan socks are a GREAT boon for stripping and refinishing! You have these great disposable "refinishing mittens"!

Rani
#11 of 11 Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM

K I swore I posted this before but it must have gotten eaten.

I'd come and help ya if I was close, I LOVE refinishing furniture. My mom and I do it alot. The sock idea is great. Make sure you do it some place well ventilated so you don't from fumes. Usually takes me and my mom an afternoon to strip and another to restain. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in