Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:01 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you own futons? If so, do you like it? Do you use it for your guest/extra bedrooms or have one on hand in case you have guests? Is it full size or queen size?

I'm thinking about getting futons instead of daybeds. I'm trying to decide what I want to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
We have one in our bonus room. We use it as a guest room. Although right now it is DH's room since i had the baby. It is comfortable for a couple of days to sleep on. The mattress/seat is not very thick though.
#3 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:05 AM

I have this one and this chair too. They have a different fabric, but you get the idea. I had them in my office when we had the store for the kids to crash on. The chair worked GREAT for Kale, but anybody weighing over say 60 - 80 pounds was just not comfortable on them. I say go with the daybed!

And Chase has a futon in his bedroom .. it is a bunkbed futon combo made from heavy oak and the futon mattress is the kind with springs .... still not so comfortable.

#4 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Thanks for the advice!

I was really wondering about those futon mattresses. They really don't look comfortable since they really aren't that thick. I was looking at prices and some of them are just about the same price as a daybed too, so I guess that really won't make a difference.

I definitely want my guests to be comfortable.
#5 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

BTW, Roxanna - that is some pretty furniture!
#6 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM

You know the mattress we have on Chase's futon is not the typical futon mattress .. it was expensive and we bought it at a mattress store .. it has springs and crap like a "real" mattress ... still not comfortable.
#7 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 AM

We had one as our primary bed for quite awhile. It had a REALLY thick mattress on it. It wasn't the mattress that came with it. I know Mike said he payed quite a bit for it but it was REALLY comfy. I think the mattress was like $300, it didn't have springs but it was super thick and we loved it. I think the type of frame matters a lot, because we got a different frame and the mattress never was the same on the new frame as the old one.

I'd recommend a futon for guests for sure, esp if you get the good mattress.
#8 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Bailey has a full sized futon on the bottom bunk of his bed. I have slept on one just like it and don't find it very comfy either. There are also studies that sleeping on a futon cause depression so I don't let Bailey sleep on it very often.
#9 of 12 Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Special Member

My BIL has one with a really thick matress on it. I think they paid around $300 just for the matress. His pretty is comfortable but overall I would rather sleep on a daybed or something. You can get bed with trundles under for additional sleeping space for guests.
#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yammie has one in her guest room, and we slept on it for a couple days over Memorial Day Weekend. It was pretty comfy, I thought, but it's one of those mattresses with inner springs and everything.

I say, if you're going to get a futon, spend the extra $$$ on a great mattress for it. Otherwise, a sofabed or day bed might be a better option.
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Thanks for all the input girls!
#12 of 12 Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Special Member

So funny you just posted this, I came on to ask a question about futons too! I bought a futon last week!

If my sole purpose for the futon was for frequent guests to sleep on, I prob would not have bought one ... however ... I decided since I work from home, on days when the kids are sick, Ryan ends up bringing his spongebob little couch in my office to lay down or watch tv ... and I wanted something for him ti lay on and rest ... and ALSO for me to rest on if I am ill but still working from home... Also, when Scotts dad stays over once in a while, he ends up sleeping with Ryan in his bed ... and its not fair for Ryan to have to share his bed when people come over ... so I decided with a queen size futon, the frame is mohagony and matches the desk in my office... and I upgraded to a better mattress...

I ended up spending mroe than I wanted too.. since It will not really be used often ... and when I drove away after I bought it, I couldnt help but think maybe a pull out couch would have been better ... however - the one I got is decent .. as soon as it is delivered I will try it out and sleep on it for a night - and I will let you know if my mattress is any good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in