Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-10-2001, 02:29 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a slight situation that i could use a hand on. I am about 6 weeks out and want to have a baby shower. Friends and co-workers along with family have asked when i am having one. I have read that it is wrong for you or your immediate family to throw it, and that it should be a close friend. I am to the point where i am ready just to organize it myself. ( My mom refuses to do anything - she bought us a crib and says that she spent enough - i told her i wasn't asking for anything else. )

So my question is would it be wrong to throw a shower for your-self?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-10-2001, 04:12 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
You must of been reading a out of date book. LOL. My family realtives on both sides threw a baby show for me. I like it that way.

Having your Shower is not a bad idea at all. Have a couples shower where you cook out and everyoneplays games and watch you and your husband open gifts for the baby.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.
#3 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 12:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
DQKaren~ I agree with Annie. That's an out-of-date book...or something Dear Abby wrote.

I'm throwing my SIL a baby shower for her second child (due Sept. 29!!)

I think throwing yourself a babyshower is just fine!! ANd a couple shower sounds like a whole lot of fun!!

HAPPY SHOWERING!!

#4 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 05:46 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Well I know people who consider greedy to throw your own shower. I never threw my own because I did not want to be considered greedy. My mom threw mine though so if immediate family is not allowed to throw showers than well we broke a rule.

If you want to throw yourself a shower. By all means do so. Don't worry about what other people think and do what you feel is right!!
#5 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Special Member

I know where you're coming from! Nobody threw me a shower with my first 2 kids (sad, isn't it? LOL). I did get a small shower at work, but that was just co-workers and cake. They did pool together and buy me a very nice portable crib, so I'm not complaining by any means, but I was pretty disappointed that no one threw me a real baby shower!

My SIL on the other hand had a baby shower with each of her 3 kids -- thrown by her mother and aunt. I don't think that's out of line at all!

I personally would be uncomfortable throwing my own, although I don't know why. Here's an idea -- why not have your husband throw you a "surprise" baby shower where he does the inviting, so that you don't have to? And I love the couples/bbq idea! That sounds like a winner to me!
#6 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 06:41 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Good Idea Dawn!! If you are doing a couple's baby shower, plan the shower and have your husband seem like he did it all
#7 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 07:03 PM

I love the husband idea. That way, you can still have a hand in planning but have him be the host. I don' t think there is anything wrong with throwing yourself a shower but I am with Dawn on this one. I don't know if I would personally be comfortable doing it. But if you could get your husband to, then you will have a fabulous shower and wondering what others may think will not even cross your mind!!
#8 of 11 Old 07-11-2001, 11:57 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

i'm still in the air about this one- but i do like the husband bbq idea - just don't think that the hubby will go for it. I'll have to toss the idea out. he hates planning so if i did all the planning and arranging and just have him do the invites (mailing anyway) he just might go for it. my only problem now is a good day to do it
#9 of 11 Old 07-12-2001, 12:10 AM
Addicted Member

My DQ friend. Good luck and I can't wait to hear if hubby goes for it. Let us know.
#10 of 11 Old 07-13-2001, 04:31 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I have learned that a co-worker of my mom's (someone who works for my husband and me) is planning a baby shower (she asked hubby for my friends address/phone #'s) and then my best friend e-mailed me and asked about a baby shower and if i needed any help!
I am going to pass along her info to the other lady and then they can plan together and I don't have to do a thing! A little bit of weight off my mind! Now dh and I just need to get the baby's room together
#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2001, 06:52 PM
Addicted Member

DQ, you and hubby need to get the baby's room on the move or you will have a whiney baby and a whiney Mommy Good luck in putting it together, it will be fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page