Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank goodness I didn't go to Dad's race this weekend.

I went over to my mom's yesterday to have her color my hair (my vanity finally won - I refuse to have more gray hair than my husband!). While I was in the shower rinsing, DH called my mom, and as soon as I got out of the shower, she walked in. Here's the conversation (roughtly):

Mom: "Your dad is racing at Buttonwillow this weekend, right"
Me: "Yes. Why?"
Mom: "Chris (my DH) just called. Dad is OK, but they wrecked it."
Me (beginning to panic): "How is Mark?" (Mark is Dad's passenger)
Mom: "He's got a broken leg, and is in the hospital."

Needless to say, I rushed to get dry and dressed, and we went outside to give Dad a call and get all the details. Dad got off lucky. I guess the third wheel (the "chair" wheel) hit something, pitched the side up, threw Mark through the air, and then the entire outfit flipped over, and landed on it's back (with Dad still in it). Dad couldn't get out, and when he called to Mark, Mark responded that he couldn't help because his leg was broken. They just sat there for several minutes, because the corner workers couldn't cross the track to get to them until the track had been cleared. In fact, a couple of the other teams stopped and managed to roll them back upright before the corner workers or ambulance showed up.

Mark got off lucky, too, actually – there wasn’t a mark on his helmet, which means he probably landed on his feet – after being propelled about 30-40 feet, hence the broken leg. He broke one femur, and there are several broken bones and dislocations in the opposite foot. They already put some steel rods in the broken femur, so he won’t need a hip cast, but he’ll have a knee cast on the other left, and will probably be wheelchair bound for a few months. Dad has a few scratches on his back, but nothing more. Thank goodness for Kevlar back protectors!

My niece is having her birthday party tomorrow, so I’m thinking about stopping by Dad’s either before or after, and talk with him more. I also want to take a look at the outfit – he tells me the body was pretty much destroyed. Maybe I’ll take pictures. Oh, and here’s what the outfit looks like normally. You can also see where the driver sits, and where the passenger is, though the passenger moves around a lot.

It's more scary when you think about the fact that my dad, drives around a track at 100 MPH+ on one of these, and collects Social Security! Good for him, that he's able to do it, but bad for my blood pressure, especially on weekends like this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh my! They certainly had angels watching over them! So glad that it wasn't more serious!
#3 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Yikes! I'm glad that your dad is okay and that the other guy didn't get hurt too badly.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I'm glad they're ok!
#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
Glad that it wasn't more serious!
#6 of 6 Old 11-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Glad he is ok!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page