User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-28-2007, 03:46 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am ready to get serious about weight loss, but I have fallen into bad habits these past few years, so I need help starting the process.
I am trying to decide between Weight Watchers (which I have done before and know a lot about), Jenny Craig (direct--meaning no center is close to me, so I would get food shipped to me and have my consultations over the phone), or Nutrisystem, which I don't know a lot about. I know that they will ship food to me, too, and I am not sure about consultations and support. I have not looked over their info yet.
Does anyone have any experience with Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem? I know about WW, but what about the other two?
Also, what about this new pill, ALLI? I am SO not sure about taking a pill of any kind. I mean, the FDA thought PhenFen and Redux were safe, too!
Any thoughts?

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 15
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=890 This is an article I read about Alli. Now, having said that if I wasn't getting ready to have surgery I would consider taking this med.

I don't really know that much about either Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem.

What I do know is that Nutrisystem meals are low glycemic index foods, which is better for your body because it doesn't affect your blood sugar as much. (really good for PCOS). If you ever watch Celebrity Fit Club, I know they used to do Nutrisystem on there. from what I know about Nutrisystem if I was stateside and going to do a weight loss program of that sort (weight watchers, jenny craig, or nutrisystem) I would go with nutrisystem. For the convienence and the fact that it is a better program for my medical issues.

I know nothing about Jenny Craig at all.

Weight Watchers is a great program, but didn't really work well for me because it had nothing to do with sugar impact which is huge with PCOS.
#3 of 9 Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm doing WW. I like it. I've lost 15 lbs so far. I'm stuck right now because I need to be better.

I have a friend doing Ali and she's lost 10 lbs already. You have to be REALLY strict about your fat intake on it or you will have some gross things happen.

#4 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Special Member

If you need to follow a diet plan, I strongly suggest WW, because ultimately, you are learning to live a healthier lifestyle. You still have to make the decision of what you are going to eat and when, but along with their points system, you eventually figure out how much you can eat without having someone standing over you all the time. If you're following something like Nutrisystem and their low-GI plan, you don't really "learn" the lifestyle, which puts you at risk of gaining it all back and then some when you stop ordering their premade meals.

If you're interested in the low-GI aspect, you can find several books on the subject and educate yourself so that you can follow your own "diet". Not to mention that Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem are so expensive!
#5 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Addicted Member

also take a look at slimplicity.com. I know several people who have had amazing success with it. And I know a distributor.
#6 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 PM - Thead Starter

Dawn, I agree about that aspect of WW. It is a strength of the program that you have to plan your own meals, make your own choices, and through that you develop good habits that will carry on beyond your initial weight loss. HOWEVER, I don't know if I have the will right now to make the right choices. I am just so lazy and brain dead these days. I like the idea of not having to THINK about it much at all. Jenny Craig does do a transition where your consultant helps you with choosing meals to cook, etc--meaning you move on from their meal plan and go on to regular food. They also have a dining out guide.
Well, since I just sold my mom's house, I have a little money I can invest in doing this. I don't plan on spending much of the money, but my mom HATED seeing me so heavy, so I think using a little of the money to lose weight would be a move she would have liked.
Shona, I have never heard of that slimplicity. I am going to check that out.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#7 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Special Member

I'll be interested to know what you choose and how it works. I don't think any of them are *bad* - just different areas of concentration. I do see how having a meal prepared for you would make it simpler and if you can afford it ... I say go for it! I've often thought that would be a great way to get the weight off, but I just can't justify it.

What's the plan that Jessica Simpson used? Something like 5 in 5. He actually suggests using as many of those frozen meals as possible because you know *exactly* what you are eating. No guessing on serving sizes, so you can't go wrong. I just don't find many of those meals appetizing, so something like Nutrisystem would certainly seem better!
#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 AM - Thead Starter

So, after sitting on this idea for a week or so, I have decided that Weight Watchers is more practical for me. Yes, it's going to take more effort and thought, but overall, I need to make the effort and get back into healthier habits and healthier thinking when it comes to the foods I choose to eat. So, I will join sometime this week. Y'all that I can commit myself to this once again and have the success I had before and then some!

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM

You are going to do great! I really like WW. The first week I feel like my brain is going to explode from thinking so hard though

I write on boxes and cans and keep a list of the most eaten foods on my fridge. It all helps it be easier.

GO GIRL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page