What is your "philosophy"? - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have one, what is your HS'ing philosophy (i.e. Charlotte Mason-ish, Classical, etc.) Could offer a little explanation of what it means to you and why you do it?

Our philosophy has changed through the years. In the beginning we were very "child led" in learning (unschooling).

Different people work differently and that includes children. I have learned through experience that in taking the same approach with each child may prove to be pretty difficult (then again, it also might not). We do what works for each child, and what works best for me as well (but mainly what works best for the boys, comes first).

That being said, right now we lean towards the Charlotte Mason philosophy and I think that it can be tweaked to work for the different personalities of different children. I love the 'living books' concept, but I also read (through some of her supporting materials) that some of the moms have still used text books to support a living book. There's so much more to it than the living books, though. Mason ultimately wanted to keep the curiosity that children have about the world alive and therefore turn them into self-educators.

Our philosophy may change as the boys get older but we are open to that.  duck.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're still unschoolers in many ways, but in some ways, we aren't much different from the public schools.  I have the greatest virtual school.  I just have to make her do it.  The school keeps track of everything she does and we make a print out every month.  It's incredibly easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page