User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone else have sleep problems? I have terrible insomnia and have had since I was a kid. I have taken all sorts of stress management classes, relaxations seminars, etc. I have listened to all kinds of relaxation tapes. Done tons of exercises that are supposed to be insomnia cures. All with no relief. I have tried teas, herbal remedies, and even otc sleeping pills from time to time. Even sleeping pills don't work for me, however, they do give me nausea. Just wondering what others do for sleep relief.

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0
I have insominia and it gets worse when I am stressed (like now). I just work my way thru it. I hate sleeping pills, so won't take them unless I am desperate. I just keep going until my body finally says "enough! go to sleep!". Then I will sleep for about 12 hours straight, get up eat and go back to bed for anywhere from 4 to 8 more hours.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#3 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
Yes, obviously having insomnia isn't healthy on the body. Following your body's own circadian rhythm would be the optimal situation, however, some people are not as lucky to be able to do that.

Lenora & Brenda.... Have you all had a sleep study? You might be surprised to see what they find. It would be worth a shot.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#4 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM - Thead Starter

I have thought about it since I could do it for free at the VA, but I am not sure how much good it would do since I sleep even worse in hospitals than at home.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#5 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
If you can have one done, DO IT! You might have an apnea problem, which can be treated and you will definitely sleep better and easier if that's addressed. Also, there could be other issues. I would definitely get one done.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#6 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Likes Earned: 22
I spoke to my doctor about it. She doesn't think I need to do a sleep study. My problem is simply falling asleep. Once I am asleep, I rarely wake up. When I am stressed (REALLY stressed), I find that I simply cannot fall asleep. It normally takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep, and I've been that way my whole life. My problem seems to be that my brain just refuses to shut down. I've gotten to the point where I don't read in bed or watch TV. I do nothing in bed but sleep (except maybe have private time with Rick! :wink: )

It doesn't happen too often and I never had a problem with it until recent years. When we first started having marital problems it started up again and got worse with this move. Now that we are trying to work things out and the worst of the move is behind us, I am finding that it is much easier to fall asleep because my brain is ready to shut down at bedtime and I don't have a million and one things floating thru my head while trying to fall asleep. I'm also finding that as I move toward some type of resolution with Rick, things get better, too. Mine seems to be totally stress related, which my doctor says is pretty normal. She has suggested that I can take my lorazepam to help me relax if things get really bad. In the past few months, I've only done that 2 times when it got to the point where I had barely slept in days. I hate taking pills, so I did some research online and starting trying the things they suggested, like not reading in bed or watching TV. Basically to make the bedroom a place where I only sleep. Keeping our bedroom clutter free helps too by making it a more realxing space. It doesn't always works, but it helps alot.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#7 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM - Thead Starter

I can take hours falling to sleep. Also, I do not often sleep peacefully. I frequently wake up with just a few hours of sleep nd am unable to go back to sleep. TV seems to actually help me go to sleep. I have a set of movies I turn on and tune out. I have trouble sleeping when things are too quiet.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#8 of 15 Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Likes Earned: 0
I often have trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep. I have had a sleep study done, but I do not have apnea.

My doctor and I talked about the options, and I didn't want to do sleeping pills or aids because Kyle works funky hours, and I am often the only one with the kids. If they wake up sick or needing something in the middle of the night, I can't be zonked out to the point where they can't wake me or I can't function or drive if needed.
My doctor prescribed Attivan in a very low dose for me (.5 mg). It works great because it simply relaxes me and gets my mind to stop so I can sleep. I can often take just half a pill and get good rest. It doesn't knock me out or make me feel drugged, and I am easliy awakened and can function if I need to.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#9 of 15 Old 05-06-2010, 02:27 AM

I think you have used Relaxation techniques and mediation, adding these things into a routine can help solve sleep problems for some people. At the very least, these measures tend to help people relax, which is never a bad thing.exercise could be a huge help in relaxing you before bed.
#10 of 15 Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Maybe its just me, but I like going to the gym about an hour or two before my bedtime, and working out as hard as I can so that by the time I go to bed, I'm tired and just dying to sleep.

#11 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 AM

How about trying melatonin, or valerian root? Both are natural herbs that help the body relax.

#12 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 AM - Thead Starter

I tried melatonin and it gave me serious breathing issues.  I almost had to go to the emergency room. Fortunately, dh had an inhaler.  I was terrified to go to sleep after that.  I thought I might die.  I will not be doing that ever again.  I have talked to my doctor who occasionally gives me sleeping aids.  Right now, I'm not using anything.

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#13 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM

Hi all

This problem is very dangerous for health and i want to say that get early morning and then you feel better at night after 9 or  10 pm day by day you feel better..................

#14 of 15 Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM

To sleep well first of all you need to keep your head cool and relaxed, mean no having any thoughts which tends to feel you stressed. Then try to lay in an appropriate position and keep your body in a relaxed way. Better to drink milk before sleep.
#15 of 15 Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you can try home remedies to cure your problem permanently. Firstly, you must say no to coffee after noon. Secondly, try to workout in the evening. Thirdly step away from your phone. Last but not the least meditate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page