User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! Who else here is trying for a baby?

Here is my long story, dunno if this is the right place for it.

I realized recently with shock that I am aging, and that I don't have all the time in the world like I would like to think. So I quit smoking in January. I started eating right (I didn't eat all that badly before), and I walk for 40 minutes a day. I went to the ob/gyn for a preconception appointment since my uterus is tilted, just to make sure it wasn't a problem and I was dismayed to be referred to a cardiologist because she heard a very strong arrhythmia.

This is out of the blue a little, but I did have a murmur as a child and occasionally I see an early beat on my yearly EKG, but nobody has mentioned it since I have been an adult. It is safe to say that I FEEL my heart have early beats, I do get mild chest pains, and I occasionally feel my heart racing for no reason. Since I am a nervous sort, I chalked it up to anxiety and didn't worry about it. Particularly as I have been poo-pooed by every doctor I have seen in the last 5 years.

So I go into the cardiologist who didn't hear anything, but the EKG did pick up a PVC (premature ventricular beat) so she ordered some additional testing. I did a carotid ultrasound (family history, and dizziness), a 48 hour cardiac event monitor, an an echo cardio gram (heart ultrasound). Every tech I saw was surprised that a young healthy person such as I was even getting these tests.

So I waltz into the follow up appointment fully expecting to be told that I was imagining things and I was fine.

That didn't happen. The carotid ultrasound found some minimal plaque, but she wants to retest that every three years. That was pretty normal. The 48 hour cardiac event monitor found nearly constant PAC's (atrial early beats) as well as PVC's. I also had an "atrial run", a series of beats that was very rapid for no reason. The echo found that my mitral valve is thickened, I have mitral regurgitation, and a mild mitral valve prolapse (but it doesn't prolapse to the degree that I would get that diagnosis, if that makes sense).

We are trying magnesium therapy (just a magnesium supplement) that isn't working, I go back in in a couple of weeks. She would like me on a beta blocker called Metoprolol.

I am not comfortable taking this medication during pregnancy, despite her assurances that it is safe. I am going to ask her if I can hold off on meds for a year to see if I get pregnant, but if not I will get my tubes tied. I am very upset about this whole thing!

Plus I stopped taking birth control in March and my cycles are apparently 38-43 days apart, which is a bummer when you are eagerly waiting for day 28. So it isn't happening anyway.

Frustrating!

Ok now you all know way more than you wanted, LOL! Sorry for the long monologue!

-Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-12-2008, 07:09 PM

I am sorry you are going through this. I can imagine you are frustrated and scared. Why are you uncomfortable taking the medicine if it's safe to take during pregnancy? If the cardiologist believes it is safe, then I would recommend taking an extra step and talking to your ob/gyn about it, but if they both say it is safe, then I would reconsider. I don't know a lot about heart problems and pregnancy, but I have a friend who has serious heart problems and has had two children. Both of her pregnancies were high risk, and she was monitored closely during labor and childbirth and even after. That's about all I know.
As for long cycles, I had those too. I had to do fertility to have my daughter, and after that my cycles were 28 days pretty much all the time. We were not even trying to have a baby when I got pregnant with my son. He was a big surprise. There is a book called The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally, which helps you chart your basal body temperature and guides you through ovulation and things like that. It was very helpful to me. We had other fertility problems beyond my long cycles, so this book did not work for us, but I did give a copy to a friend of mine, and she was pregnant within six months of reading it. You might want to check it out.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#3 of 8 Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
As a person TTC, I can understand your feelings. However, as a CCU RN, it's better to get all of this checked out and taken care of BEFORE getting pregnant. Many women have been on Metoprolol during pregnancy and done fine. I'd have to look it up on line for pregnancy catergory.... since I'm in CCU we really don't check out the pregnancy category... rarely a pregnant patient in the unit. Consult your OB if you have concerns. I would not put off treatment, it could cause you more issues in the future.... I would recommend someone that takes care of high risk pregnancies because they will know more about other systems than just general OB/GYN's.

Anyway....

Here's my story..... I had a difficult time getting preggo for my daughter. After 4 years of TTC, many meds, procedures, surgeries, visits, tests, etc... we were finally blessed. I had a rough pregnancy to say the least, but it was worth it. I went into labor at 29 weeks and was hopped up on meds to stop the labor. Went off the drugs at 36 weeks, 5 days and had to be induced at 37 weeks 2 days due to preeclampsia. Had my daughter, did fine until 12 hrs. after getting home and was back in the hospital in fluid overload/heart failure. Came pretty close to being on a ventilator. I had NO PRE EXISTING CARDIAC ISSUES.

SO..... my point is this.... do your testing now, get everything in check before getting pregnant.... yes, it is scary and annoying, but it will make things safer for you and the baby, and that ALONE is worth it.

Good luck to you and work closely with your physicians for that healthy prenancy.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 8 Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks for your encouragement ladies!

Before I forget, LOL, I need to ask the cardiologist if I can breastfeed on Metroprolol, if I can't, I am not having a baby. It just doesn't seem fair to me that I bring a baby into the world who can't have that connection.

I appreciate the tips and encouragement, and I always love hearing other's stories, so thank you again.
#5 of 8 Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Likes Earned: 22
Here's hoping that everything works out for you!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 8 Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Likes Earned: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardCandy View Post
Thanks for your encouragement ladies!

Before I forget, LOL, I need to ask the cardiologist if I can breastfeed on Metroprolol, if I can't, I am not having a baby. It just doesn't seem fair to me that I bring a baby into the world who can't have that connection.

I appreciate the tips and encouragement, and I always love hearing other's stories, so thank you again.
Just let them know that you want to breastfeed. Many women that need chronic meds can BF, just let them know.

And you know, having to bottlefeed isn't the end of the world. If you really want a child you will not let breast vs. bottle feeding stop you. You can have a close connection with your child even if you bottle feed. I was extremely ill after having my daughter and my medications kept me from breastfeeding. My daughter is 3 1/2 today and we have a strong bond, even without BF.

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#7 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM

There is also a book called 'Honoring Our Cycles' by Katie Singer that can help you figure out when you ovulate. It address long cycles also. My midwife gave it to me so I can start tracking my cycles. I've been on birth control for a while, but before that my cycles were around 35 days.
#8 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 1
from someone that had high blood pressure and a murmor during pregnancy let me comfort you in that there are alot of medications including beta blockers that are safe during pregnancy as well as during breastfeeding.

i was on meds my entire pregnancy and besides having to up the doses a couple of times, things went off smoothly. i was seen by many many drs including a medical internst (sp) and it is his specialty to know what medications do what for you and their side effects.

trust in your drs. they are looking out for your own good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page