Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-08-2002, 11:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I hadn't really thought about this board before. Meagan suggested that I post here.

My oldest son is from my hubby's previous marriage. His name is Hayden. He is 9. He has AD/HA. There is also an extreme chance that he is bi-polar. They are waiting to test him when he is older since the medications for him aren't safe for his age range. Also, there could be a number of things wrong with him. One never knows at this point.

His mother is a bi-polar. There was even talk at one point that she had multiple personalities. I am not certain if that turned out to be true or just her way of explaining her disabilities. Anyway, she is severely depressed. This is where Hayden gets about 90% of his depressive conditions.

The other is from his father's side of the family. My husband hasn't been formally diagnoised with OCD or addictive behaviors. However, he has every symptom and his therapist is certain he has it. So, that is where the rest comes into play, if not more.

I will be honest in saying I am grateful that he doesn't get any of it from me!

It is difficult for me to help him and all his questions some times. He is always asking me what happened in his brain to cause this to him. We were watching a movie once about a mentally handicapped boy. He asked if that was what was wrong with him. I told him no. He asked what happened, again. I can't answer because I just can't explain it. So, at his appointment next week with the psychiatrist, I plan to have the doctor explain it to him on his level.

Hayden knows that depressions are a result of something going wrong in the brain. That is the extend of his knowledge. If he had a simplier depression, I could explian it better to him. However, bi-polar and AD/HA is so complicated to me, I just can't explain it to myself, let alone in his terms!

Does anyone else have these problems? Does anyone else know how to explain it?

How do you handle your little one? In any situation?

I am learning to adjust to him. This is hard since the smaller ones aren't like him in that respect. Their behavior is more like a normal child for their age. So, I am never certain what is age behavior and what is AD/HA.

Any advice, encouragement, anything, is appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-09-2002, 02:53 AM
Special Member

Welcome to our Children with Special Needs forum.

I read your post and I am glad that Meagan encouraged you to post Hayden's story. From my undertanding you meant that Hayden suffers from ADHD. Your post read AD/HA and I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong in assuming you meant AD/HD. You also mentioned that Hayden may have a bi-polar disorder. In children it is called Early-Onset Bipolar Disorder.

I know about about it since I have a younger brother that is bi-polar and he was dianogsed when we were children. I know what it is like growing up with a sibling who has a bi-polar disorder. There are times my brother would not sleep for days and wake us up to talk for hours or just to listen to us speak. Other days he was like a "zombie" just looking extemely sad and not wanting to eat or talk. Later I learned these were called episodes:major depressive episode and Manic depressive episode.

I am posting another post here in this forum for information on
Early-Onset Bipolar Disorder that may help you understand it.

I will be discussing ADHD later this month as a topic of week. I do have several posts here about ADHD that you will see if you scrol down the page of the forum. If you have any problems finding them just Click here to email me and I will send you the links.

~~Sandra~~
A poohmommy to Michael born December 1, 1999 weighing 2 pounds and 6 ounces with an apgar score of 1. and wife and soulmate to Timothy Lee

~~Visit Michael's webpage~~
www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/tigerpup

Click here to see our Family Homepage at Baby University.

My Webpage:
Art by Alexandra

Click here to read my Parenting Journal where I discuss what life is like being a parent to a toddler with special needs who has undergone 2 skull reconstruction surgeries a month apart and the affect it has on our family.

Moderator of
CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS BOARD
RAINY DAY ACTIVITIES
THE RELATIONSHIPS BOARD

"There are two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning."

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
#3 of 7 Old 04-11-2002, 06:00 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I didn't mean to not reply. I did mean ADHD. I get it a bit confused some times since he has had it for over 6 years and it seems like every few years, they change the name.

Yes, any info on bipolar disorder and what to look for and how to help or anything would be great. I don't think they are ready to label him that just yet, but they aren't ready to rule it out yet either.

My mother was bipolar. Or, at least she was diagnosed that several years ago. I think later, a different doctor withdrew the diagnoses. She is a depressive person, though. I just pray I never get that bad. She had several bad years when I was a kid. I never want to put my kids through that.

I look at Hayden and pray he never turns that way. Not that I couldn't handle him or wouldn't want the rest of the family to. I just know that he would have to believe he would feel he was going out of his mind. I know I would feel that way about myself.

#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I was lucky with Greg, I had a perfect example to show him, ME.

I explained that his brain did not produce enough of the chemical it needed to help him remember and concentrate, just like my body does not produce the insulan it needs to use up sugar (of course this misses out a lot of information but he was only 9 at the time)

I also told him that his taking Ritilan was no different to my injecting Insulan, we just needed a little extra help to make our bodies work properly.

I don't know if that helps at all. Does your family know someone who is diabetic that you could use as an example? Maybe asthma - with the inhaler - could substitute? Or a grandparent with high blood pressure.

If you can use someone else as an example it seems to help them understand and also to not feel so 'different'
#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2002, 01:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Knight
I was lucky with Greg, I had a perfect example to show him, ME.

I explained that his brain did not produce enough of the chemical it needed to help him remember and concentrate, just like my body does not produce the insulan it needs to use up sugar (of course this misses out a lot of information but he was only 9 at the time)

I also told him that his taking Ritilan was no different to my injecting Insulan, we just needed a little extra help to make our bodies work properly.

I don't know if that helps at all. Does your family know someone who is diabetic that you could use as an example? Maybe asthma - with the inhaler - could substitute? Or a grandparent with high blood pressure.

If you can use someone else as an example it seems to help them understand and also to not feel so 'different'
We have tried different explanations of everything we can think of, including those suggested above. I don't know why he didn't "get it" during those discussions. I think if his doctor explains it, it may help him out a bit better. It could be more "official" and possibly settle it for him. Sometimes, when someone "official" explains something to him, he never asks again. I don't know why, he just that way. Could be the kid in him. Thank you for the help though. We have tried the chemicals in the brain, we have tried it all. I really think it wasn't "official" enough for him.
#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
True, he is at that age where Mum and Dad couldn't possibly know anything annoying isn't it.

I think you are probably right, kids will believe almost anything a Dr tells them. Good Luck
#7 of 7 Old 04-14-2002, 11:35 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Knight
True, he is at that age where Mum and Dad couldn't possibly know anything annoying isn't it.

I think you are probably right, kids will believe almost anything a Dr tells them. Good Luck
You are so right. We are SO stupid some times! If it weren't for the dictionary, teachers, and the internet, I think arguments could go on for days!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page