BabyUniversity.com's Mom of the Month Contest! - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 03:33 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BabyUniversity.com is excited to introduce a new monthly contest for members!

Every month YOU have the chance to win a prize for writing a personal story reflecting a parenting moment or lesson learned through life experience. The monthly winner will receive an eGC to a selected retailer ($25 USD). The winner's story will be also featured on the front page of BabyUniversity.com.

Contest is open to all BabyUniversity.com registered members. Entries must be submitted via email to [email protected] in the form of a personal essay and (optional) include a picture of yourself. Please include your username on the BabyU forum.

Tell everyone you know about the contest! Put a link to this thread in your signature on the forums you frequent, or in your email signature! We encourage everyone to participate. Contest is open April 1, start writing those stories ladies!

Contest Rules:
One Entry per registered member per month. All entries must be original work written by the entrant. Entries must be at least 200 words in length. Winner will determined by forum staff.

Deadline for entries is the 25th of very calendar month. Entries received after the 25th will be reserved for consideration in the following month's contest.

All entries become property of BabyUniversity.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 12
OOH How fun.
I am not a writter though so I am going to sit this out. (and I can't think of anything interestingenoug for 1000s of people to read. )

Can't wait to read the wining entry!
#3 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Karen! You don't have to be a writer to participate sweetie! We're a community of real women not all of us are writers, we would appreciate any story you would feel comfortable contributing!

#4 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Addicted Member

I'll think about it I got a couple o weeks so maybe i I start early I can tweak it to make sence by the 25h.
#5 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Yay! I look forward to seeing your story, and everyone elses too!
#6 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
This contest pretty much leaves me out but good luck to those who enter.
#7 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Every month YOU have the chance to win a prize for writing a personal story reflecting a parenting moment or lesson learned through life experience.
I don't think so Cheryl. It says Reflecting a parenting moment OR Lesson learned through life experience. It doesn't mention a PARENTING lesson - just a lesson. I'm sure you could submit something. I'm sure tey won't exclude you. You add a bunch to this site.
#8 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM

Cheryl, I agree. It could be a story about something YOUR mom taught you. Or it could be observations or lessons you have learned from other moms.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#9 of 26 Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 AM

Likes Earned: 22
And don't forget about the time you spend with your neices and nephews, either! There are lot of things you could write about!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#10 of 26 Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
I'll try, but at my age (almost grandma) the ole grey cells are being replaced by grey hair I've been a mother for 23 years (including pregnancy time) but can't think of anything off hand that would be inspiring to other parents.

Hey I know, I'll write what I did so that everyone else will know what not to do

Mind you if I did win it would be a little awkward as I live in the wrong country

(for those of us in other countries, could we nominate another BU member in the USA to receive our prize?)
#11 of 26 Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Knight

(for those of us in other countries, could we nominate another BU member in the USA to receive our prize?)
International winners will receive a USD cash equivalent paypal payment. If you don't have paypal then we could look for an alternative, like a magazine subscription, etc.
#12 of 26 Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Guys
This sounds like fun! I hope I can get back to read the stories.
#13 of 26 Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Addicted Member

Om Golly! How have you been Doreen? It's been ages!
#14 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
Welcome back Doreen!!!
#15 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Likes Earned: 22
I am working on one, but I don't know if I will get it done in time. It may have to be for next month's contest. Too busy this week getting the garage sale ready. Plus, I'm really long winded so I need to trim it down! Right now it is 2 pages! LOL!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#16 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Sounds awesome Brenda! Thanks for participating.
#17 of 26 Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
So who won?

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#18 of 26 Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
wow Doreen!!!!!! Its great to see you back again
#19 of 26 Old 06-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Jen
Special Member

Likes Given: 2
Huh huh huh???? Who won?????
#20 of 26 Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

To be honest we didn't have much participation, but we were able to select a winner and that is...

drumroll

Simmone!!

Quote:
On June 26, 1997 I went into the hospital to have Hannah. Everything in labor went very well nothing out of the ordinary. When Hannah was first born on June 27 she had great apgar scores but everything was about to change. Hannah was on her way to the well baby nursery with dad following when she stopped breathing. They rushed her to the NICU and after many tests and being seen by multiple doctors they figured out Hannah was born with pneumonia. I was in recovery and had no idea this was going on. Russ stayed as close to Hannah as he could and he waited until he knew what was going on before he came to my room. I was moved to my room and my MIL was already there. About 15 minutes later Russ came in the room with a really weird look on his face and I knew something was wrong. He told me that Hannah had pneumonia and her oxygen saturation was not good. I was upset not suppose to get out of the bed and I being the new mom and wanting to be near my baby waited till Russ went to the bathroom and I started down the hall to go see my baby. A few minutes later Russ and a nurse brought a wheelchair and took me to my precious girl. Hannah was so sick her color was not good, they were afraid she might have brain damage because her oxygen saturation was still not good. I sat with my baby as long as I could shed many tears and said many prayers because the doctors didn't think she was going to make it. Her first few days were touch and go she spent 10 days in the NICU on oxygen, antibiotics and mildly sedated. When she came home it was such a blessing it was tough being a new mom with a baby that for a few months was on 2-3 medicines around the clock but by the Grace of God Hannah made it and is a 10 year old gorgeous preteen with no side effects. Hannah is a excellent softball player and I am so very glad that God let me keep this little piece on heaven on earth with me. I am blessed to have her and I am glad that I went through what I did with her because it made me appreciate her and just how precious she is to me.
Congrats Simmone! If you have paypal could you please PM your paypal email?
#21 of 26 Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Make sure you enter for this month, there's a $25 prize! =)
#22 of 26 Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!
#23 of 26 Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Location: The Funny Farm, Where life is beautiful all the time...
Congrats Simonne!

Kim
DH Chris 8-6-94 **15 Years! **

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
Mom to Lauren 10/26/04 & Ryan 4/6/06 MC 3/22/07 Comet (10-5-09... RIP Bubba) Visit me @
&...

#24 of 26 Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Great essay, Simone! I loved it!

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

#25 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 AM

This should be fun!!! I have a ton of storeies!!! I am a new mom and while I am the third oldest of 8 children all that experienced I gained at home only helped a little! There is nothing like having your own child to look after. I will have to enter this contest and maybe the many stories and memories made with my 4 month old will win!
#26 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm not sure we are still doing this or not. Our site has a new owner now. We would still love to hear your stories! to Baby U!

“

Euripides

”- John Barrymore “

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page