Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am extremely close to my step-daughter Anna. I couldn't love her more if I had given birth to her and have never felt like she was anything less then my daughter. Unfortunately for me, her and her father can't seem to get along(my husbands fault, but that is a long story), and Anna lives in Connecticut with her mother and step-father. We talk several times a week on IM, but I only see her every couple of months in person. We occasionally talk on the phone but not often.
Last night I was at work and my cell phone rang. We are not allowed to use our cells when we are at work. I saw that it was Anna, but didn't think anything of it. So I got off work at 10pm, got home checked my messages and one was from Anna. She was crying and upset and ask that I please call her, preferably without her father around. She has never done that before. Even though it was late I called on the off chance she had the phone with her(it's her cell, not the house phone), no answer so I told her to call me as soon as she got the message. Then I tried calling again this morning before school...still no answer. I am so worried. I hardly slept last night. My head is thinking a hundred million things that could be wrong. I am praying it's just "teen drama" and she just needed a shoulder, but with 300+miles between us and no way to communicate I have no clue...what if it was super important??? If something is seriously wrong and I wasn't there for her I will never forgive myself! I wish I would have just snuck into the bathroom and answered the **** phone!

Sorry...just need to vent and freak out a little...since until I know what it is about I can't get her father involved and there is no one else to freak out to....please pray it's something simple and she was just looking for a sympathetic ear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Addicted Member

Hoping it was nothing serious. She is very lucky to have such a loving step-mother!!
#3 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will say a prayer for her and you and pray that it is all ok.

I am a proud wife to a hard working man Russ
and I have two wonderful kids Hannah and Will!

#4 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM

I know she asked you to call without her father around but if you still haven't heard from her, I think it's time you let him know about her call and that you haven't been able to reach her since. He or you or someone needs to call her mother and see if there is something going on. I honestly hope it was just "teen drama" and nothing more but if you haven't heard from her, I'd be seriously worried that something is wrong. I do hope that by now you've heard something from her and that she's okay.
#5 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I have already decided if I don't hear from her today after school that I am gonna have DH call her...without telling him something is up. Calling her mother won't do me any good and will only make her lose trust in me...same goes with telling her father...but if I suggest he call her and give him that push without alerting him to my call I will at least know that everything is ok. I will have him tell her to call me...I will make up some excuse.
Like I said...the relationship between DH and his daughter is not good....he is clueless and can't communicate with her, and she won't make the first move....I can only sit in the middle and try to smooth things over without hurting her....and since taking a baseball bat to DH's head is not an option, nothing I hint at gets through to him. I refuse to break her trust(barring drastic circumstances), because right now I am the parent(out of the whole bunch of us) that she is open with and trust.....
#6 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 2
Bridget !
#7 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I finally got a hold of her briefly...though she couldn't talk right now. She says "she is fine, she was just upset and needed to talk, but she is fine now"....uuuhhhggg I could just ring her neck for worrying me. She is supposed to call me back in a bit. I swear if she wasn't 300 miles away I would strangle her. Anybody near Gales Ferry CT that wants to go give her a swift kick in the @ss????
#8 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 PM

I am relieved that you got ahold of her and that it was not anything serious.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#9 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Addicted Member

What a relief!
#10 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Addicted Member

Location: In a house with a bunch of walls, windows and doors
Likes Earned: 15
i am glad that you were able to get ahold of her. Did she call you back and give you more details yet as to why she was calling you?
#11 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad everything is okay.
#12 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Glad to hear that she is alright!

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#13 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Bridget

I know you want to kick her in the behind for worrying you now, trust me thats normal, you wouldn't believe the amount of "If he's not hurt I'm gonna kill him" type conversations I have had with myself over the years, when you find out they are OK you give them a huge hug and than an even 'huger' earful, I think it is the combination of stress and relief that sends us crazy

But just think about it for a minute, most teens call their 'Besties" when their worlds crumble (and with teenagers, esp girls, that can be a bi weekly event) your SD rang YOU. That says so much about your relationship, you have done so well to have her still want to talk to you. And I agree with you, I would not involve the other three parents in the group, esp when asked not too. (Off course all bets are off if she is endangering herself)
#14 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Her best friend of 4 years suddenly decided her other friends were more important and they were telling her not to be friends with Anna. On top of that Anna's mother was being a b**ch because she had a bad day at work and yelled at Anna for "crying over something so stupid". By the time I talked to Anna she had worked things out with her BF.
I didn't get mad at her I just told her I was glad she called, but could she next time let me know that she is not maimed, in pain, seriously in trouble or dying... and that she just needs someone to talk to. She realized how bad the call must have sounded and we both had a post-panic laugh over it.

Her first question was "what did you think, that I was pregnant or something?" I told her that that one was way down on my list of worries and hadn't even been there till a friend had ask me that same question.....needless to say I told them both that wasn't funny!
#15 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paijj

Her first question was "what did you think, that I was pregnant or something?" I told her that that one was way down on my list of worries and hadn't even been there till a friend had ask me that same question.....needless to say I told them both that wasn't funny!
That thought crossed my mind! Thank god it isn't true. As for her relationship with her father, having been there, done that.... from her perspective, she shouldn't have to make the first move. He is the adult, therefore, he should make the effort. He probably doesn't know how to relate to a teen daughter, and seems standoffish. I am sure he loves his daughter very much and vice versa but they just can't relate. Again I say she is very lucky to have you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page