User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im looking for some advice on what to do when my step daughter says to me "my mommy said that I dont have to do that". I don't want to undermine her mother, but in the same instance her mother lets her do what she wants, regardless if its eating, playing, going to bed, what have you, the child does as she pleases at home. When she is here, she has to conform to the rules here, and I want to make this as easy as possible for her while still getting the point across. Her mother is making things extremely difficult by telling the child things before she comes for visitation and this undermines the rules set at her fathers house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12
I have never been in this situation, but perhaps gently remind her that she is not at mommy's house, she's at daddy's house now and at daddy's house she has to live by daddy's rules. I am sure when she visits her grandparents' or friends' houses, she has to live by their rules as well. I can imagine how stressful this is for you. *hugs*

“
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Euripides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
”- John Barrymore “

#3 of 6 Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I agree with Lenora ... let her know that while it's a really good thing to listen to her mommy, her mommy's rules apply to her mommy's house and that you have different rules in your house.

Elaine White

I'd love to be the ideal mother but I'm too busy raising my kids.

Haley Olivia 8-17-96 ~ Zachary Tyler 4-30-01 ~ Asher Mackenzie born an angel 2-26-03 ~ Brenna Grace 5-4-06

#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 AM

I agree with Elaine and Lenora. I would just say, "You don't have to do that at Mommy's house (or at home or when you are with Mommy), but when you are here with Daddy and me, you do have to do _________." You might also try behavior modification, in which you offer rewards (good consequences) for appropriate behavior and punishment (or bad consequence) for inappropriate behavior. For example, you ask her to pick up her toys, and she does, so you let her watch 30 minutes of television or you give her a little prize like special bubble bath or a sticker book and stickers (or something small that would appeal to her). But if you ask her to pick up her toys and she doesn't, then you don't say anything right then. Just wait, and later when she asks if she can watch a television show or if she asks if she can play with playdough (or whatever might be considered a priviledge), you can say, "I am so sorry (name here), I would love for you to watch iCarly (or play with playdough or get out the Barbies), but you can't do that because you didn't pick up your toys earlier. I really hope that next time I ask you to pick up your toys that you'll do it, so I can let you watch tv (or whatever)." Make sure you say this kindly and calmly, and there is to be no arguing. Check out Parenting with Love and Logic by Jim Fay. I think this would go a long way with her. There is also a version for toddlers, which might work better for her if she is as delayed as you think she is.

Tammy
wife to Kyle 4/27/96
Proud mom of two fabulous kids:
Emily 1/11/03
Travis 10/6/06
#5 of 6 Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Likes Earned: 22
We were always told that at mom's house you had to follow mom's rules. At my bro's dad's house, we had to follow his rules.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 6 Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Yeah, talk to her mom regarding this issue, bcoz the girl wont understand this if she is too young. And tell your husband to talk to her daughter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page