Before you were married, did you ever date someone with children. - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-18-2002, 11:46 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did it effect the relationship in a positive or negative way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Special Member

I dated someone for about nine months who had a child from a previous relationship. It definitely added drama to our relationship when my bf was having problems with the child's mother. I thought my bf was a terrific dad, and it was hard watching him go through things there were out of his control. Ultimately, the fact that he had a child had nothing to do with why we broke up. I missed his child a lot after we broke up and wondered how the bf explained to a two year old why I wasn't around anymore.

Now when I look back on that time, I'm glad our relationship didn't get to the marriage stage. I'm glad that when I had my first child, it was also my husband's first child, and it was a new experience that we shared together.
#3 of 6 Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 PM - Thead Starter

I did...but it was a wierd story. He had gotten married in a whirwind..after the girl he was dating said she was pregnant. That marriage lasted less than 6 months..and the battle began. He wasn't going to have a DNA test, since the baby looked so much like him. The attorney convinced him to. Test came back 99.9% conclusive that it wasn't his child And he had been paying CS for a year!

What a mess. He stoped paying CS...and she went on welfare. Welfare tried to come after him since they were still legally married (although going thru a divorce) He was able to show the marriage was under False Pretenses (or something like that, since the only reasn he married her was because she said she was pregnant with his child) and have it annulled. But he still had to spend alot of time and effort to clear the whole mess up

#4 of 6 Old 07-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mike was the first person I ever dated/married with kids.
#5 of 6 Old 07-24-2002, 06:49 PM

Likes Earned: 22
I dated a guy who was much older than I was. He had a son who was only 2 years younger than me, 1 daughter 4 years younger and 1 daughter who lived with him who was 9 years younger. He was a great guy and a wonderful father to all his children. We eventually split because I decided I was way to young to take on an "instant" family at the age of 20. He understood and we remained friends for many years.

~*~Brenda~*~
mom to Drew (16) High School At Last!
mom to Ally (10) 4th Grade, Baby! WooHoo!

Parenthood:  That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.  ~Marcelene Cox  Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children.  ~Marilyn Penland
#6 of 6 Old 07-24-2002, 07:14 PM

I dated a guy who I later found out had a child. Made me think a whole lot less of him because he refused to have anything to do with his daughter.

Kate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page