Role of Step Parent - BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews
User Tag List

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been on here for a long time but I used to be a regular. I have been in a relationship for almost 3 yrs. He is a retired disabled vet (only 32 yrs old) since he was injured in Iraq. I am frustrated with his lack of contribution. I still feel like a single parent most of the time. He has medical issues but I do as well. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February. I know they are not his kids but feel he could help out more. How much do you think a step parent should help out? What limitations should a step parent have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Likes Earned: 26
Likes Given: 12

((hugs))  I hope you are feeling better now.  I am also a100% disabled vet and unless he's in a wheelchair or missing some limbs (more than one), he should be able to help you keep the house clean, neat and organized.  I had an aunt who was in a wheelchair for over 50 years and her house was spotless.  I had  a good friend whose father was paralyzed from the waist down and she was a great person and he was her primary caretaker.

Also, imo, in your home, he is the surrogate dad.  He needs to do all the things a dad does.  Maybe you will be the major disciplinarian. but in all other ways, he's a dad.  He should be doing everything a dad does - helping with schoolwork,  making them keep themselves clean, feeding them meals, etc.  Being disabled is not an easy out of parenting.  Kids need parents to be parents regardless of the parents' abilities or disabilities.  I don't get to say, "hey, MS is really bad today, I'm not going to feed my kids or give them baths.  I'm just going to let them run around the neighborhood like wild monkeys and let the streets take care of them."  Nope, disability is not an excuse.  You have to be a parent regardless of how you feel even if you feel rough permanently. 

If he has a mental health issue, then time to hit the VA counseling services and work on it.  That's what all the other disabled veteran moms and dads have to do. 

I am very sorry you are sick and I hope you get well and stay well soon.  ((hugs))

#3 of 3 Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Likes Given: 0

I agree with Lenora on the parenting. And I just wanted to send my prayers and thoughts to you while you are dealing with breast cancer. ((hugs)) I hope that things get better for you in all areas. So glad to 'see' you again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BabyUniversity.com - Baby and parenting forums and reviews forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in